Style > Beauty

Almay Shadow Squad™ Eyeshadow Review and Lookbook

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

Almay recently released a new line of eyeshadow quads in 15 monochromatic shades. The quads come in four different finishes: satin, matte, metallic, and glitter. The idea is that you can create a monochromatic eye look in your favorite shade.

REVIEW

My first impression of the quads was that they were smaller than I thought they would be, but the packaging is very cute and sleek. The quads kind of of look like little candies! They also seem like a nice size for traveling, especially since you can theoretically create a whole eye look with one shadow quad.

I did find that the shadows aren’t very pigmented– they are pretty sheer. The metallic and glitter consistently are the most pigmented of the four finishes in all the shades. The texture feels nice and smooth. Most of the shades blend well except for some of the smokier shades, such as Throwing Shade (gray brown) and Ambition (mocha with purple undertones). They are a little patchier and take more work to blend out.

Overall, my favorite shades are Own It (pink nude), Pure Gold, Baby (bronzed gold), Never Settle (dusty pink nude), and Unapologetic (blush rose). I was a fan of the warm nudes and the rosier toned shades. I also think Thrill Seeker (teal blue) is a really fun and trendy shade and looks nice incorporated in with other more neutral shades. The shades I would pass on are Throwing Shade and Making A Statement (dusty purple). 

You can pick up these Almay Shadow Squad™ shadows at most drugstores. They are $5.99 online at Target.

LOOKBOOK

This first look is an all gold metallic eye with black winged liner. I used Pure Gold, Baby for this look, blending the matte finish in the crease, and the metallic and glitter shade on the lid. I found using my finger to apply the metallic and glitter shadows worked better than a brush.

Look two is a monochromatic look using Unapologetic. I used the matte shadow in the crease and the metallic and glitter shade on the lid, using my finger to apply like I did in the first eye look. I also used the metallic and glitter shade in Never Settle to create a halo affect in the center of the lid and highlight the inner corner of my eye. I finished the look off with winged black liner and black mascara.

Look three is a trendy eye look using Thrill Seeker. I first put the matte finish of Here Goes Nothing (champagne nude with pink undertone) on the lid and then the matte finish of Own It in my crease. I then used a small angled brush to apply the metallic and glitter shades of Thrill Seeker in a winged shape on the top lid and then along the lower lash line as well. I finished the look off with black mascara and a gold metallic highlight in the inner corner.

Two other ways to use the shadows include using a mix of the matte and satin finish of the rosy shade Unapologetic as a blush. I am wearing that shade as blush in all the above photos. You can also use the metallic and glitter finishes of Unicorn, Less Is More, and Pure Gold, Baby as highlighter.

Katie Allen is Editor-in-Chief for Gustavus' Her Campus Chapter. She is currently in her fourth year as an English major. Her role models include Emma Watson, Hillary Clinton, and Leslie Knope.