8 Soundtracks That Make For An Epic Study Session

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

It wasn’t until last semester that I started branching out on my study music. The Peaceful Piano playlist on Spotify was always my go-to, but after tiring of the same tunes each and every study session, I decided to try something new. I looked to some of my favorite films and TV shows for some new background music to get me in the zone for serious studying. Not only are the tracks I listen to awesome for focusing, but they also give me some serious inspiration as I picture my favorite movie and TV scenes while writing papers or working on assignments. Who doesn’t want to imagine themselves as Hermione studying for her O.W.L.S. in HP or Claire rewriting history in Outlander? Here are some of the best finds I’ve had since creating my cinematic study playlist.

1. Passengers (2016)

Nothing better than some J-Law vibes as you’re getting into school-mode. What I love about this soundtrack is that it’s really fresh, since the composition incorporates elements of the movie’s futuristic themes, but still has classic cinema soundtrack vibes. My personal go-to songs are “Aurora” and “Spacewalk”. 

2. Pride and Prejudice (2005)

I don’t think that the composition for this movie revival of Jane Austen’s classic novel could be any more perfect. I love the classic, romantic themes of the music, which is likely because they remind me of my older piano study playlists. Definitely check out “Dawn” and “Darcy’s Letter” if you give it a listen. 

3 & 4. Outlander Seasons 1 & 2 (2014, 2016)

Ugh, yes. My latest obsession. Both of these soundtracks are amazing at telling the series’ story, but even if you haven’t seen the show or read the books, the music makes for some really cool listening. The incorporation of traditional Scottish and French musical themes is pretty interesting, too. My personal favorites are “People Disappear All the Time”, “Fallen Through Time”, and “Leave the Past Behind”.

5. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011)

If we’re talking about cool musical storytelling, the final HP soundtrack does just that. There are definitely some intense tracks included, but who doesn’t love to feel like they’re saving the world instead of just studying for a boring exam? I’ll take that epic heroine feeling any day. “Lily’s Theme” is a must (notice any similarities in it to “Hedwig’s Theme”, Potterheads?) as is “Courtyard Apocalypse”. 

6. Cinderella (2015)

Lily James’ rendition of Cinderella gave me all the feels, but the music is just as great as her performance. This soundtrack helps me to take a mental break from some of the more intense tracks in other soundtracks, with its overall peaceful nature. For some happy vibes, listen to “The Great Secret” and “Courage and Kindness”. 

7. Jane Eyre (2011)

And we’re back to more literary-based compositions, because the soundtrack from the 2011 movie version of Jane Eyre offers some great background music for studies. The overall tone of the music is on the darker side, but it’s definitely worth adding to your playlist. I love the opening track, “Wandering Jane”, as well as “Life on the Moors”. 

8. Far From the Madding Crowd (2015)

I just can’t get away from this 19th century literature, can I? I guess it makes sense that I’m an English major. Far From the Madding Crowd‘s soundtrack provides another great addition to your study session, with enough romance and drama to keep you entranced while studying for that next exam. My faves are “Far From the Madding Crowd Love Theme” and “End Credits”. 

Whether you’re looking for a whole new playlist, or just a few new songs to rejuvenate your study routine, these are definitely all soundtracks worth checking out. And no worries if these soundtracks aren’t your thing–try looking to your favorite movies and TV shows to find some new background music for your next big paper writing session.  

Kjersten is a senior at Gustavus Adolphus College in Saint Peter, Minnesota. She is pursuing a major in English and one day hopes to work in the exciting world of book publishing. When she's not reading books or taking pictures of them for her blog, she loves watching period dramas (Outlander, Victoria, and Downton Abbey, to name a few), playing with her beagle, Rocky, and listening to Ed Sheeran on repeat. Kjersten serves as Senior Editor for the Gustavus Chapter of Her Campus.