This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

Sometimes, procrastinating on homework and watching Netflix is unavoidable. Next time you want to focus your attention on something other than studying for finals, turn to a documentary! They’re educational and interesting, so you won’t feel as bad for avoiding the inevitable ( a.k.a. school). Here are eight documentaries I’ve watched recently that I found really enjoyable.

1. Forks Over Knives (2011)

This documentary goes into detail about the American diet and its detrimental effects on the health of our country. It follows a series of people who previously had numerous health problems, including heart disease, diabetes, and risk of obesity, who switch to a whole foods, plant based diet in order to save their health. Watch as the filmmakers expose what is truly causing these health risks, and learn how easy it is to combat them.

2. Precious Puppies (2003)

Seriously, just watch this. This film follows the life of super cute dogs throughout their lives. I don’t have much to say about this documentary other than if you want a mood booster, this is for you!

3. Jesus Camp (2006)

One word to describe this documentary: extreme. This film displays a Evangelical church camp, where families from around the country attend to practice their religion with like-minded people. If you ever hear someone claim there aren’t Christian extremists, show them this documentary, then tell them they’re wrong.

4. Exit Through The Gift Shop (2010)

This documentary follows the life of modern street artist, Banksy. It describes how he became a filmmaker, and later, a famous graffiti artist. From illegally spray painting his tag all around the streets of France, to putting an on art show costing thousands of dollars in Los Angeles, this former small town shopkeeper really made a name for himself.

5. Cowspiracy (2014)

Here’s another documentary about the benefits of eating a plant-based diet! This time, the documentary goes into detail about the detrimental environmental effects of animal agriculture–and why no one is talking about it. Animal agriculture is the leading cause of global warming, yet we hear nothing about it. If you’re passionate about the environment and how you can help save Earth, you should seriously consider watching this.

6. The Sunshine Makers (2015)

Ever wonder how acid became to be such a prominent drug in the 1960s? Watch as the creation of one of the most popular forms of acid during the time, Orange Sunshine, was created by two college chem majors in the basement of their home. With the help of their friends, they created massive amounts of acid and distributed it around the world with the hope of saving the planet, all while staying one step ahead of the police.

7. Blackfish (2013)

This documentary started my addiction to Netflix documentaries several years ago. It’s pretty popular, and a lot of people have talked about it and it’s slightly controversial topic. The film displays the realities of orcas held in captivity in SeaWorld, and how the animals there are treated and live compared to in nature.

8. Wolfpack (2015)

Imagine being stuck in a small apartment with your siblings your whole life, all because your parents are too paranoid to let you leave. That’s what life is like for seven children raised in Manhattan, with no contact to the outside world. The only way to keep themselves entertained, and perhaps from going a little crazy, is to watch and recreate their favorite movies. This documentary seems like something from a fiction novel, and really intrigues viewers about the lives of these seven kids.

Linsey Wolf

Gustavus '20

Hello! My name is Linsey. I study English Education at Gustavus. In my free time I enjoy reading, drinking coffee, spending time with my friends and being outdoors.