jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Live More Sustainably

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

Sustainability and living in a more environmentally friendly way seem to becoming more and more trendy. It makes me a little sad that treating the Earth kindly had to become a social media movement in order for people to take action, but every little bit helps, so I can’t complain. In case you’re new at sustainability, here are 5 ways to live more gently.

1. Reusable Bags

Everyone knows that plastic bags are not good for the environment. They are usually a single use item, meaning people throw them away after they have fulfilled their purpose of carrying what they need. Try purchasing a few reusable cloth bags at your local grocery store. They’re most often around $1-$2, and can easily be washed.

2. DIY Dryer Sheets

While dryer sheets aren’t really a necessity in laundry and could probably be disregarded as a whole, having less staticy and fresh smelling clothes is a nice perk. Instead of using dryer sheets that are single use, consider making a reusable one! All you need to do is purchase some wool thread, wrap it very tightly in a ball, add a few drops of essential oils to the ball, and toss it in the dryer with your washed clothes! You can also purchased pre-rolled wool dryer balls on Etsy.

3. Thrifting

Buying and selling clothes at thrift shops is an easy way to reduce your carbon footprint when it comes to fast fashion. You can make a few extra dollars by selling your gently used clothes, or donate them for free. Thrift stores have a lot of cool second hand items, including kitchenware, furniture, and fun games! It’s an easy way to get more use out of a disregarded item while not spending much money.

4. Buy Local Produce

Farmer’s Markets, to me, have the freshest and most delicious produce. Buying local produce usually means there are less harmful chemicals and additives on the product. Plus, you get to meet who grew the amazing fruits and vegetables you get to eat! Grab your reusable bags and fill ‘em up with seasonal produce.

5. Educate Yourself

The best way to live more sustainably and be more conscious of your impact on the environment is to educate yourself on just how big of an impact you have. There are tons of documentaries, articles, books, podcasts- you name it- on a variety of topics regarding the environment. Take some time to learn more about what you can do.

Linsey Wolf

Gustavus '20

Hello! My name is Linsey. I study English Education at Gustavus. In my free time I enjoy reading, drinking coffee, spending time with my friends and being outdoors.