5 Must See Movies Directed by Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

1. A United Kingdom, directed by Amma Asante, is the true story of a controversial marriage of Seretse Khama, the first president of Botswana, to an Englishwoman named Ruth Williams. The two meet while Seretse is abroad in England and fall madly in love and marry. However, upon returning to lead his country he finds resistance to his marriage and his new wife as she is a white Englishwoman. This film shows the couple’s love and struggles as they fight for their marriage while trying to keep Botswana untied. A United Kingdom was released February 10th.

2. Before I Fall tells the story of a teenage girl, Samantha Kingston. Samantha seems to have a perfect life, popularity, a great boyfriend, and a bright future until one night she dies in a car crash. However, in an interesting turn of events, she wakes up to what she assumes is the next day and it was all a dream…. But she quickly relizes it was not. She has been sent back in time to relive that same day over and over again. Samantha learns the power a single day can have on life as she desperately tries to find a way to avoid the crash and save her and her friends lives. This thrilling story of the impact of a single day is directed by Russo-Young and was released on March 3rd.

3. The Zookeeper’s Wife was directed by Niki Caro and tells the thrilling story of a Antonina Zabinski and her husband Jan who own and run the Warsaw Zoo in Poland during 1939. However, this is not the happy story of a zoo but of how Antonia hides Jews for the Nazis throughout the zoo during the Holocaust. The Zabinski work with the resistance to save hundreds of lives from the Warsaw Ghetto. The Zookeeper’s Wife came out on March 31st.

4. Superhero fans everywhere were thrilled when DC announced Wonder Woman set to be released June 2nd. This film is directed by Patty Jenkins and will tell the newly envisioned story of Princess Diana of Themyscira. The movie is to be set during World War I when Diana meets an American pilot and learns of the conflict raging in the world outside of her island home. Diana leaves her home for the first time to stop the threat and end the war and in the meantime discovers her true powers. Wonder Woman comes to theaters June 2nd. 

5. The Barden Bellas are back again for Pitch Perfect 3 which is set to be released December 22nd and is directed by Trish Sie. Very little is know about the actual story line of the move all we have so far is a release date and a cast list that confirms that all the regular bella girls will be back for the third movie!

Katie Allen is Editor-in-Chief for Gustavus' Her Campus Chapter. She is currently in her fourth year as an English major. Her role models include Emma Watson, Hillary Clinton, and Leslie Knope.