5 Contemporary Romance Novels For When You Need a Break From the Textbooks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

Sometimes exactly you need is a good ol’ romance novel. At least, I seem to think so. Here are five romance novels I’ve enjoyed as a little break from reality–and hopefully, you will, too!

1. The Hating Game by Sally Thorne

I had to start this article with one of my favorite romance novels to date. The Hating Game is, as you could probably anticipate from the title, a hate-to-love story full of ridiculously witty banter and fierce, lovable characters. Lucy Hutton and Joshua Templeton hate each other—wicked, bitter, and straight-to-the-point hate. The pair works together at a publishing company and when the time comes for a singular promotion, competition ensues and true feelings are brought to light. A thrilling debut by Sally Thorne (you won’t believe that this is her debut novel when you read her skillful prose), The Hating Game should be at the top of your to-be-read romance pile.

2. The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson

I love cute romances. I also love nerdy characters, summer love, and dogs. All of these things explain why I have such an attachment to The Unexpected Everything. This novel is slightly intimidating in size (it clocks in at over 500 pages) but it is a quick, adorable read. In this novel, Andie’s world is rocked by a family scandal at the start, which derails her highly anticipated summer internship. Left at home for the summer without a job, Andie takes up the gig as a dog walker, and coincidentally, starts walking an equally cute and nerdy guy’s dog. After meeting Clark (cute and nerdy guy) and starting to reconnect with her distant father, Andie’s summer completely changes.

3. Until It Fades by K.A. Tucker

This book is the definition of SLOW. BURN. ROMANCE. This story takes its sweet time building up to its climax, but it’s definitely worth it. Waitress and single mother Catherine is a fiercely independent, resilient protagonist that you’ll spend the entirety of the book rooting for. While driving on a back road one foggy night, Catherine saves a man’s life, but it’s not that simple—the man she saved is mega-star hockey player Brett Madden, and Catherine’s life is immediately thrust into the spotlight. The only thing that seems to make it somewhat bearable is that she gets to spend more time with Brett—but a celebrity like him couldn’t possibly be interested in a normal woman like her, could he?

4. A Place in the Sun by R.S. Grey

What’s better than a romance set in coastal Italy? NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I PROMISE YOU. However, I will warn you: you will feel the sudden urge to travel to Italy after consuming this wanderlust-inducing book. Set in Vernazza, Italy, this book follows protagonist Georgie, who has just fled her U.K. home after her mother’s matchmaking attempts drive her up the wall—or, out of the country, in this case. Planning to relax and take time for herself while in Italy, Georgie becomes utterly distracted after alluring Gianluca comes to her rescue one drunken night—but Gianluca is anything but interested in her. Yet Georgie can’t shake her fascination and finds herself in deep trouble…

5. Confess by Colleen Hoover

Another beloved author of mine, Colleen Hoover never ceases to write books that keep me up way to late at night trying to finish. One time, I stayed up until 5 a.m. finishing one of her books (true story). While I’d recommend almost any of her books, I have to start with the first book of hers I read, Confess. In an attempt to rebuild her life, Auburn accepts a job at a local Dallas art studio, not expecting to find herself attracted to its owner and artist, Owen. Auburn decides to take a chance on Owen, but discovers he’s harboring a big secret, which puts her newly rebuilt life in jeopardy, and the only way to protect herself is to cut him out—which turns out to be much harder than she thought.

Kjersten is a senior at Gustavus Adolphus College in Saint Peter, Minnesota. She is pursuing a major in English and one day hopes to work in the exciting world of book publishing. When she's not reading books or taking pictures of them for her blog, she loves watching period dramas (Outlander, Victoria, and Downton Abbey, to name a few), playing with her beagle, Rocky, and listening to Ed Sheeran on repeat. Kjersten serves as Senior Editor for the Gustavus Chapter of Her Campus.