2016 Reading Recs: Sun, Sand, and a Book in Your Hand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

Summer is almost here, Gusties! As finals are wrapping up and boxes are being packed for the big move-out, it’s time to think about how exactly you’re spending your summer vaycay. Getting some much needed R&R? Lounging by a pool? Catching up on sleep that you’ve been missing out on since February? No matter what your plans are, summer provides a fantastic opportunity to catch up on any fun reading you’ve been wanting to do but just haven’t had the time for. In case you haven’t kept a to-be-read pile handy for those summer days, here are some reading recommendations to get you started!

If you’re looking for something romantic:

Try Confess or November 9 by Colleen Hoover.

If you need a beach read, pick one of these. Colleen Hoover sure knows how to write a page-turner. Both romantic but with striking differences, these books will make you fall in love with falling in love.

If you’re looking for something heading for the big-screen:

Pick up Me Before You by JoJo Moyes.

Utterly breathtaking from the very first page, this stunner will keep you on your toes and have you begging for just one more chapter.

If you’ve already read it, be sure to check out the sought-after sequel, After You.

If you’re looking for something historic:

Try The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah or The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

The Nightingale is the tale of two sisters in France during World War II. It will transport you back into the heart of the war and will have you turning pages in record time.

The Book Thief, which is also set during World War II, takes place in Germany. This book is the story of a young orphan named Liesel who just can’t resist the temptation of books and it will intrigue you from the very beginning.

If you’re looking for something quirky:

Look for An Abundance of Katherines by John Green.

There’s something oddly intriguing about a character that only dates girls named Katherine. Also, if you’re a fan of footnotes, this is the one for you.

If you’re looking for something with a new perspective:

Find Americanah by Chimimanda Ngozi Adichie.

This story follows the lives of two young people and their journeys in both Nigeria and the United States, the places they call home. Americanah traces themes of love, race, belonging, and struggle all throughout; it is a book you do not want to miss out on!

If you’re looking for something nonfiction:

Pick up Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates.

This book, which was written by a father, is an attempt to answer difficult questions for his son surrounding how he found his place in the world. Between the World and Me is the 2016 Reading in Common book for Gustavus—be sure to pick it up ASAP!

If you’re looking for something mildly dystopian:

Search for The Selection by Kiera Cass.

Are you a fan of The Bachelor and The Hunger Games? If so, ding ding ding!, we have a winner! With a combination of a Katniss Everdeen-like heroine and a televised competition to compete for a young royal’s heart, this one will have you on Amazon ordering the rest of the series instantly. 

If you’re looking for something classic:

You can’t go wrong with The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald or The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan.

The Great Gatsby, noted by many as one of the best works of 20th century American literature, has just about everything you could want in a book: big, fancy parties, drama, a bit of romance, betrayal, and fantastic symbolism. It almost always makes it on to lists titled “10 Classic Novels that Every Person Should Read in their Lifetime” and with good reason.

The Joy Luck Club is a beautiful novel celebrating the relationships of four Asian-American mother/daughter pairings. With each mother and daughter the story delves deeper into the struggles of immigration, family, love, and figuring out who you are.

Be sure to pick up any of these fantastic books and delve into your summer reading! Take a well-deserved break from those textbooks and read something fun and fresh. Happy almost summer, Gusties! HCXO!

Kjersten is a senior at Gustavus Adolphus College in Saint Peter, Minnesota. She is pursuing a major in English and one day hopes to work in the exciting world of book publishing. When she's not reading books or taking pictures of them for her blog, she loves watching period dramas (Outlander, Victoria, and Downton Abbey, to name a few), playing with her beagle, Rocky, and listening to Ed Sheeran on repeat. Kjersten serves as Senior Editor for the Gustavus Chapter of Her Campus.
Katie Allen is Editor-in-Chief for Gustavus' Her Campus Chapter. She is currently in her fourth year as an English major. Her role models include Emma Watson, Hillary Clinton, and Leslie Knope.