10 Scary Books Worth Reading this Autumn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

Need a cozy read to cuddle up with this fall? Here are 10 titles worth reading on a chilly fall day. 

1. The Burning World by Isaac Marion

If you’ve read Warm Bodies, you have to check out the shocking sequel. If not, go for the first book. It has zombies, romance, and a complex plot perfect for this time of the year.

2. I’m Thinking of Ending Things by Iaid Reid

This book is both haunting and an extremely quick read. It’s a thriller that will have your heart pounding. Not suggested for reading alone in your dorm at night; you’ll be terrified!

3. The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling

An obvious, but often overlooked, classic. The H.P. series is filled with wizards, magic, and adventure, which is perfect for a cool fall day.

4. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

If you’re looking for a more serious book, there’s nothing scarier than racism and police violence in modern America. This book tackles issues that are too-often shied away from, and inspires you to take action for a cause you care about this autumn.

5. Grimm’s Fairy Tales by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm

Unfortunately, the Disney interpretations of these classic stories aren’t exactly accurate. There was no midnight spell cast on Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood is actually called Little Red Cap, and Snow White has a sister named Rose Red. Intrigued? There are so many more surprising facts, so curl up with a cup of apple cider and read the book.

6. There’s Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins

If you want a good scare on Halloween night, this book will get you. It’s a murder mystery with flare. I would suggest checking it out!

7. Dracula by Bram Stoker

Also a classic, this story is perfect for when the leaves turn and the weather begins to get cold. Check out this vampire novel from your library for a great fall read.

8. American Ghost: A Family’s Haunted Past in the Desert Southwest by Hannah Nordhaus

This book is a quintessential representation of all that Halloween represents: the story of a girl whose grandmother is said to be haunting an elegant hotel. Highly recommended for your reading list.

9. The Diviners by Libba Bray

Supernatural powers, New York City, set in the 1920’s?!? What’s not to love!

10. The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson

A family of five moves into their new home, only to flee in terror 28 days later. Interested? If you’ve seen the movie, try reading the book!

Marie Osuna

Gustavus '21

Always drinking coffee and writing.