Culture > News

Winter Pride: Coming Clean on a Dirty History of LGBTQ+ Discrimination and Violence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Guelph Winter Pride 2020 officially kicked off with a Pride Flag Raising in front of the UC on January 30th. The festival runs for just over a week, and features workshops, entertainment, and even a Queer Night Market being sponsored by Guelph Queer Equality on February 8th. Outside of a few noticeable tables in the UC, or comedy and drag shows taking place at several different Guelph venues, very few people seem to know what is going on  – after all, doesn’t Pride usually happen in June? Winter Pride has a very important origin however  – one whose meaning is becoming less known as the original event becomes washed away  over time. 

The date was February 5th, 1981. Although homosexuality had been decriminalized in 1969, discrimination and violence against Queer individuals was common occurrence. Lesbian and Gay people who were witnessed in displays of public affection could be arrested, jailed, beaten, and worse. Even privately-owned establishments, restaurants, and bars were often raided by police-service Morality Squads. One of these raids took place in four different bathhouses in downtown Toronto shortly before midnight on February 5th. Over 300 men were arrested in a mass-arrest record for the city. These raids were code named Operation Soap. The arrests and subsequent treatment of detainees were anything but clean, however. 

Reports of excessive force, brutal violence, and hate crimes by the police themselves are well-documented. One especially brutal police officer was quoted as stating that, “I wish these (bathhouse) pipes were hooked up to gas so I could annihilate you all”. Men were strip-searched and marked by the room they had been found in on their naked bodies. They were forced to stand in crowded rooms without their clothes for several hours while subjected to rectal cavity searches. The entire time they were violently shoved, hit, and even kicked. Most of the detainees were verbally harassed and taunted.  

Toronto’s Queer community was so shocked by the police actions that protest groups were mobilized overnight. Led by Chris  Bearchell, a lesbian activist and LGBTQ+ organizer, crowds of over 3,000 people hit the streets and raged a path to Queen’s Park with chants of “No More  Sh*t!” The crowds almost broke down the front doors before they were beaten back by riot police. Today, this event is often called ‘Canada’s Stonewall’, and prompted the Toronto Pride movement. In Guelph and surrounding cities near the GTA, many Queer organizations have begun Winter Pride Week as a way to highlight issues for the Queer community, address continuing violence and discrimination against LGBTQ+ individuals, increase access to essential services and supports, and to mark Operation Soap Day every February 5th. 

This week, from February 3rd to the 8th, there will be a variety of events which can be taken in by students and community members. Some of the highlights include a Mix and Mingle for Guelph LGBTQ+ students and faculty, an informational workshop on bra and binder fittings for transgender and non-binary folk, an LGBTQ+ Friday night dance party, and a Queer Craft Night Market. All events are accessible, intersectional, and inclusive. For more information, you can stop by Out on The Shelf (OOTS) at 10 Carden, GRCGED or Guelph Queer Equality at the University Center, or check out these links:  https://www.facebook.com/events/456715148604044/ or www . guelphpride.com  

Katrina is currently fulfilling a life-long dream of pursuing theatre studies, and is in her first year working toward her BA in Honours Theatre Studies with a Minor in Creative Writing. She loves performing on stage, and is actively involved in theatre Improv, comedy, stage production, and dance. Currently working on her ‘bucket list’, she has started taking classes in both Burlesque and Belly Dance. At home, Katrina enjoys reading, crafting, and watching Netfix together with her wife and son. As a Queer woman, she is actively engaged in her community advocating for LGBTQ+ rights.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!