This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

We’ve all heard of the new app that has taken over social media. What once was “ musically” has turned into “ Tik  Tok”, an app designed for children and teens (even adults have taken over!) to express their creativity. It has been compared to Vine, with its 15 second videos that contains trends all the way from dances, skits and memes. While it no doubt is entertaining, there are some downsides to this new app that has taken over our life.  

1. Self Esteem 

If you’re addicted to  Tik  Tok like any normal person, you probably find yourself scrolling endlessly through the For You page, meaning you probably come across good looking users who look like they live the perfect life while you’re alone in your room lying on your bed. Being on social media alone can take a toll on our mental health as we experience something called “FOMO” (the fear of missing out). People only post content that makes their life look interesting, so it’s important to keep in mind that when we see these attractive people with seemingly flawless lives on the internet, we’re only seeing less than a minute of their video through the screen.  

2. Productivity  

It’s easy to lose time when your scrolling through your  Tik  Tok feed. Ten minutes easily becomes three hours (at least from my experience, aha). While you should take frequent study breaks, don’t use them as an excuse to waste time. Get your homework done! 

3. (Losing) Sleep 

It’s become part of our daily routines now to check our phones as soon as we wake up and right before we go to bed. Numerous studies have shown that looking at our phones right before bed can ruin our sleeping habits as the screens tell our brain that we’re not tired yet. Rather than scrolling through  Tik  Tok, reading a book may help you fall asleep easier.  

However, there are still numerous advantages that outweigh the cons. Here are just a few that make  Tik  Tok one of my favourite apps:  

1. The Trends 

Unlike past challenges that were dangerous and just plain dumb ( ie. Salt & Ice/cinnamon challenge)  Tik  Tok dances are fun, easy to learn and in some cases good exercise! 

2. Spreading Positivity  

It’s not uncommon to scroll through the FYP and see people spreading positive messages about keeping your head up. These simple videos can help people who may already be having a bad day.  

3. Helping New Artists    

Thanks to Tik Tok, the app has given many artists like Conan Gray, Doja Cat and Arizona Zervas the fame and recognition they deserve. Not only that, but Tik Tok has also helped me find new songs that I would’ve never thought to listen to before. It’s a win-win situation.  

Jenny Luu

Guelph '23

Jenny is in her first year at University of Guelph majoring in English and minoring in French. In her free time, she can be found working out, reading, binge watching "Parks & Recreation" or making Tik Toks. She is obsessed with Starbucks and makes it a daily challenge to NOT buy something from there each day.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!