Why Speaking Multiple Languages Has Its Advantages

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

11. Being able to have an advantage while traveling.

The most obvious one is to be able to converse while traveling. Nothing beats being able to ask for directions when your phone’s dead. If you’re not able to properly converse with the locals, the message you’re trying to convey may end up in misinterpretation or might not be understood at all. It’s also a way to stay safe while traveling as you’re able to comprehend what’s happening around you as well as to understand what’s being said. 

10. Conversing with friends in their native language

What’s more fun than being able to speak to your best friend in their native tongue? People generally appreciate when you do an effort at speaking a language they best understand or were raised in. Strengthen your friendships!

9. Learning more about a culture by speaking its language

Some words simply don’t have translations or meanings in English. Whether it’s a quirky expression or a specific form of art, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. Being able to understand these small but key things about a culture will help you grasp it. It also helps your brain develop ideas that it wasn’t capable of having before! 

8.  Having better chances at landing a job.

The more assets a person has, the more likely they’ll be qualified and considered for a job. Being bilingual or multilingual will allow you to open many doors for your future and possibly even score that specific position you so desired. This also broadens your horizons by allowing you to work in several different countries! Go get that job in Sweden that you’ve always wanted! One more thing: bilingual employees tend to have a higher salary!

7. Making friends in unexpected places.

Whether it’s the old man sitting on the train or the lady with the strange hat sitting at a local café in the location where you’re traveling, it is much easier to make friends while being able to express yourself. Pack away your shyness and get to know about other people’s lives anywhere you travel.  Perhaps they’ll show you around and teach you about some local hidden gems and new places to explore that aren’t tourist-filled?

6. Being able to talk behind someone’s back

This one is by far my favorite (and the handiest one). Let’s be honest, we’ve all wanted to talk or gossip behind someone’s back but we also don’t want them to be aware that we’re doing so. Speaking in a language that they don’t understand is the easiest way to do so without arising suspicion. If they ask what you’re talking about, tell them it’s about that movie you saw last week in your native language that you just got so excited over that you forgot to switch to English.

5. Eavesdropping on conversation

On that same note, eavesdropping in conversations is also a guilty pleasure that people who are multilingual (especially me) tend to have. It’s really impossible to tell what languages a person speaks until they actually tell you. Walking in the streets or waiting in lines allows you to be aware of your surroundings and pick up on drama that another person may be experiencing. Usually, when drama is involved, one chooses to rant/express themselves in the language that they are the most comfortable in. For some, that is not English. Hence, if you understand the language being spoken, eavesdropping becomes insanely easy and the person ranting will have no idea you’re even doing so!

4. Look classy when reading a menu.

Don’t be that one friend that can’t properly pronounce bruschetta. (It’s pronounced bruu-sk-ettah). Make yourself look classy by properly being able to pronounce the items on the menu while ultimately being able to know what they are. (Especially at those restaurants where no description of the meal is written!) Impress your friends and family!

3. Helping figure out English words you don’t know

Despite the fact that English is a language that has West Germanic roots, loads of words are borrowed from other languages. Diversifying your knowledge and being able to understand Latin-derived languages such as French, Italian or Spanish will allow you to understand many roots in English as well as prefixes and suffixes. You’ll then be able to decode the meaning of words without actually having heard it! (This can be very helpful on tests!)

2. Belong to more than one cultural group.

Learning a language is learning a culture like mentioned above. Speaking more than one language allows you to be part of more than one cultural group. Nothing is better than adding to one’s identity while forming friendships. 

1. Being able to order a beer wherever you are in the world.

Let’s face it, ordering a beer around the world is literally the number one reason why one should learn more than one language. There is always lots to learn about a certain country by tasting the local recommended cocktail and who knows, maybe you’ll make new friends on the way?

Emilie Kelly is the University of Guelph's Chapter Co-Correspondent! She is a Phase 1 OVC student who loves to spend her time with horses, cats, dogs, cows; you name it! (That does indeed make her an Aggie!) You can contact her in French, English, or even Japanese. 
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!