This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Greta Gerwig recently took a creative and empowering spin on Louisa May Alcott’s classic novel Little Women. She brings to life the story of the little women and their coming of age journey. It’s a movie about sisters, love, heartbreak, and creativity. The movie includes powerful performances by Saorise  Ronan as the brilliant Jo, Florence Pugh as the misjudged Amy, and Emma  Waston as the loving Meg. This film is an emotional triumph that will make you feel empowered and inspired to follow your dreams.

Family is the heart of Little Women. The sisters have an inseparable bond and are there for each other no matter what. Their mother Marmee teaches them the importance of forgiveness, sisterly love, and giving back to those in need. She is the foundation of the family and her selfless personality helps her daughters be good people. One of the first scenes in the movie takes place during Christmas morning. The girls wake up to a delicious breakfast and are excited to enjoy it together. Then Marmee comes home and tells the girls that there is a very poor family in need of some warm food, and the girls agree to give them their breakfast. Their willingness to give up their luxuries to help people in need shows how truly amazing they are. The sister’s positive energy and tight bond will make you want to be a part of their family.

The 2019 version of Little Women takes a modern spin on feminism and speaks to empower women. It reveals the harsh truths about the lives women were forced to live in the 18th century. Women 

were seen as wives and mothers and 

were expected to want nothing more. Jo, Amy, Meg, and Beth all have passions beyond being a housewife and 

are determined to live a life that makes them happy. Jo is a talented writer that believes marriage is nothing more than a business deal. One of her most powerful scenes was when she’s in the attic with  Marmee and she says “I’m so sick of people saying love is the only thing a woman is fit for”. 

She 

is fed up with society and the idea that a women’s looks and ability to find a husband are the only thing they are good for. This line speaks volumes and her words are 

incredibly powerful. Although over the centuries we have made progress for women’s rights and their equality, we are still fighting and this film reminds us of this. We fight every day in our careers for our voices to 

be heard and for our pay to be equal. We fight for our bodies and the right to have control over them, we fight against the harsh words and critiques of social media and we fight to 

be believed and taken seriously.

Part of the film’s modern take on feminism comes from the unique style and attitude. Jo’s style, in particular, is very different as it’s male inspired and involves waistcoats and scarves instead of dresses. Her outfits show her fierce personality and speaks to who she is. Amy’s attitude and the way she stands up for herself also contributes to the modern take this film has on feminism. When Laurie confesses his love for her, she says “I have been second to Jo my whole life, and I will not be the person you settle for just because you cannot have her.” She stands up for herself and refuses to be what he settles for. Not only does this show how strong she is, but it teaches people to never settle for someone that is settling for you. You never have to be anyone’s second choice, you are more than that.

Little Women is a film that celebrates love, family, and the complicated thing that we call life. The women in this film will inspire you to do what you love and empower you to stand up for yourself. Little Women is a must-see!

Emily Gibson

Guelph '21

Emily is The University of Guelph's Chapter Marketing and Publicity Director! She is a fourth-year English major who loves spending her time watching movies, writing, and discovering new places. One day she wants to visit Greece to fulfill her Mamma Mia dreams.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!