Culture > News

Why Kamala Harris’ Vice Presidency is a Win for Women (and Society) Worldwide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Although we are in Canada, we are greatly affected by the politics of the United States. Recently, democratic party representatives Joe Biden and Kamala Harris were called to win the race for President and Vice President of the United States. While many other countries have elected a woman into office, this is the first time for it to happen in the United States. 

Here are 3 reasons why Kamala Harris is a great choice for Vice President: 

1. Not only is she a woman, but she is a woman of colour 

Kamala Harris is not only the first woman to be elected Vice President of the United States, but she is also the first Black woman and the first Asian woman to be elected. Kamala is the daughter of Shyamala Gopalan Harris, who was an Indian-American biomedical scientist, and Donald Harris, a Jamaican-American economist. Kamala gives hope to every little girl watching, both white and of colour, that they too can one day run for office. 

2. She is an LGBTQ ally 

She declined “Proposition 8”, which was California’s ban on same-sex marriage. After she declined this, she was able to officiate the first same-sex marriage. She is also trying to pass “the equality act”, which is a bill that will update a variety of laws regarding anti-discrimination, to include LGBTQ+ rights. 

3. She supports women’s rights 

In terms of the gender wage gap, she suggested during her campaign that large companies should be “equal pay certified” or receive a fine. As well, she has proposed to allow workers six months of family leave for family or health issues. This includes issues related to domestic violence, a cause Kamala Harris is clearly passionate about from her past work as a prosecutor on domestic violence cases. 

Kamala Harris becoming Vice President is clearly a win for women and society worldwide. Slowly but surely, the world is becoming more progressive. 

Sydney is a first-year graduate student at the University of Guelph. She has a strong interest in neuroscience, reproductive biology, and veterinary medicine. Her articles consist of a variety of topics, most notably feminism and sexual/domestic violence awareness.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!