This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Ever since late public school, I was surrounded by girls who were excited to learn the tips and tricks of makeup. I, however, never felt that cosmetic calling that my friends all had. I attempted to learn how to do the basics, but that was the extent of my interest. Even to this day, I hardly wear makeup unless it’s for a special occasion or a night out with my friends. All the power to those who can rock a wicked cat eye, but it just isn’t for me. Here are some of the reasons why I choose to not wear makeup.

1. Cost

If you’ve read my “The Art of Saving: Grocery Edition” article, then you’ll know that I’m big on saving money whenever I can. Makeup can be expensive if you’re willing to buy the big name brands. I can save myself upwards of a hundred bucks by passing on makeup. That money is better spent on my tuition anyway! 

2. Time

I knew someone in high school who would get up every morning at 5am just to put on her makeup in time for school. Obviously not everyone takes that long, but I spend 0 minutes putting on makeup in the morning. That means I can be ready to go within 15 minutes of waking up. If no makeup means I can sleep in longer, heck yeah I’m for it! 

3. Laziness

On top of time, I just can’t find enough effort within myself to put it on. I’m not artistically gifted; I wouldn’t have the first clue how to contour, so I’ll save myself the work and skip it. I also tend to touch my face a lot, so when I have makeup on, I forget and then smudge it. I’d have to constantly redo it and “ain’t nobody got time for that”.  

4. Natural Beauty

Thanks to my mom, I’ve known since I was young that I’m “as beautiful as the princess I was named after.” Just to confirm, yes I am named after the princess from the movie Aladdin. I’ve learned to love my au natural look, sans makeup. Now if I look in the mirror covered in cosmetics, I don’t really recognize myself. I personally don’t like the “cake face” look and think it’s truer to my own character to show off my bare face, flaws and all.  

Overall, I think that you should do whatever makes you happy. I personally feel comfortable without anything on my face and I’ll continue to rock my look. If makeup is your thing, then have fun with it. Just remember that every person is unique in their own way and should be celebrated and loved regardless!  

Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!