Culture > News

Why I bought a record player (and you should too!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

We live in a time where any song, artist or album is easily streamed from Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora or YouTube. Nothing is out of our reach, and we often pay little to listen to hundreds of songs. So why would anyone invest in records anymore? The answer lies in quality over quantity. As a proud owner of a record player and a wide variety of albums, I’ll explain why putting on a record beats Apple Music every time.

A greater appreciation

The moment I come home after class, I put on one of my records. The process of deciding what to play in itself is self-care for me, and immediately relaxes me after a long day. I found that owning a record player increases your appreciation for music. While streaming music online, I often found myself hearing without really listening. With records, less is more. Though I have less options, I enjoy each and every one so much more. Your records become your babies, and music becomes an experience again, instead of a way to pass time.

Limited editions and special albums

While writing this I am listening to a record of a full live concert David Bowie did in 1978. Special or unusual albums like this may be harder to find than the ‘Greatest Hits’ record every performer releases at some point in their career, but they make the listening experience even more special. Finding an entire concert on YouTube with decent sound quality is often difficult, but records bring the live concerts right to your dorm.

A record collection

My records are some of my most prized possessions. I proudly display them in my dorm and they attract many compliments. People often forget that when you buy a record, you don’t just get the music, but also the gorgeous sleeves they often come in. Many will have beautiful cover art that you won’t find anywhere else, and sometimes even include pictures, posters and quotes. If you are especially lucky, you can collect special editions of albums, which often mean silver or gold records, and look especially nice in your collection.

They are affordable (if you do it right)

Yes, a record player can be quite expensive, depending on the quality you get. A mistake many people make afterwards, however, is that they think that you lose tons of money for every album you buy. While it is true that new records can go up to $30 for a single or $60 for a double album, there are many other ways to collect your favorite singers. For every trip to the thrift store I often find at least one record that I enjoy, often for little more than a few bucks. The University of Guelph also hosts record sales every so often in the UC, where you can look through hundreds of artists on a student budget. Though it is worth putting down some extra money for a special edition album from your favorite artist, listening to this form of music doesn’t have to cost you any more than your Spotify Premium.

(Christmas) presents

Having a record player solves an issue we all struggle with: “What do you want for Christmas/your birthday/graduation/etc.” Collecting albums automatically gives your loved ones inspiration for a great present, without adding to your endless collection of soaps and body lotions.

The sound quality

This, of course, is the main reason many people prefer records over streaming. While you may get fairly good sound from your phone speakers depending on how high-end they are, nothing beats the quality from a record player. It sounds like you have the entire band or orchestra in your room, giving a much fuller and warmer sound. I often find that when I listen to a song on my record player after streaming it on my phone, I hear instruments I did not pick up on before. While not necessary for good sound quality, you can even buy better speakers to connect to your player in the long run, further improving the listening experience. 

Maaike is an international student from Curacao in her sophomore year at the University of Guelph. Originally from the Netherlands, she loves cats, grilled cheese and reading (and watching the movie adaptations!).If she could live anywhere, it would be on Broadway.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!