What To Wear When You Have Nothing To Wear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Early in the morning, she arose from her sleep, eager to start her day. She took a shower, carefully applied her makeup, and curled her hair with precision and ease. She put on her favorite bracelets, sparkling gold earrings, and sprayed herself with a fruity perfume. She did this each morning, repeating her routine before she stepped out into the world to conquer the day. But each and every morning, before she could leave her room, she opened her closet, peered in and stared, glancing through the rows of clothing, various shoes and purses she had to choose from. She thought to herself, though staring at racks and racks of clothes, “I have nothing to wear”.

Deciding what to wear can be a daunting endeavor, especially when taking into consideration and trying to keep up with the many, and ever-changing trends, styles and fads that the fashion industry is constantly producing. As a university student, I find myself torn between wanting to look fashionable, mature, and put together, while ensuring that I am still comfortable enough to sit in my multiple two hour lectures, library work sessions, and meetings, being chic enough to be able to grab dinner after class, and transition my outfit from night to day.

Over the years, I have stood in front of my closet, pondering what to wear for far too many hours. Although I love each and every piece of clothing in my wardrobe, it is not always as simple as it may seem to pick out an outfit that you truly feel confident and appropriate in, especially when you are planning on sitting, working and studying in these outfits for long, strenuous and stressful days.  Due to this, I have picked out 3 elevated, go-to, foolproof fall outfits that save me time, and time again!

T-shirt: H&M / Leggings: Aritzia / Sweater: Mendocino / Vest: Zara / Sneakers: Adidas

This first outfit is definitely one of my favorites for a breezy fall day. When building your wardrobe, it is important to have pieces that can be mixed and matched as it will allow you to skip the hassle when thinking about planning your outfits in the mornings.

One of the first things I gravitate to when putting together an outfit for cold days are my leather leggings. Leather leggings are one of my favorite wardrobe essentials for the fall and winter months as they are thicker than a regular legging, and can really dress up any look. (A tip when shopping for leather leggings is to go a size down, because they stretch after a few wears!)  Followed by my leggings, I always look for a long layering t-shirt to put under a warm sweater. The layering t-shirt is not only practical as it provides you with an extra shield from the cold, but it adds depth and interest to a simple outfit. A warm, thick sweater is mandatory for the fall and winter months, and in a neutral color, you can’t go wrong.

Finally, every outfit requires a statement piece, and in this case, I opted for a cool, black vest with silver hardware. This vest is not only easy to throw on, but it is incredibly warm, and can be worn even on the coldest of days paired on top of a thick leather jacket. I finished the outfit off with some simple white sneakers for comfort, and practicality. 

T-shirt: Aritzia / Sweatpants: Aritzia / Sweater: Zara / Sneakers: Adidas

The second outfit I put together is perfect for a day of running errands, going from class to class, and studying in the library. I began this outfit off with an all-black base. (One of my best tips for styling outfits when you are simply out of ideas is to start with a neutral base. For example, black jeans and a black shirt, grey jeans and a white t-shirt, or blue jeans and a grey t-shirt).

Starting from the bottom, these pants are the perfect hybrid between a sweat pant and a legging, and are sure to keep you comfy, warm and cozy all day long. Moving up, I paired this look with a thick, knit jacket with a shearling lining.

I stand behind my theory that every outfit needs a statement piece, and for this particular look, this jacket elevated an otherwise boring and passé outfit.

Lastly, I paired the look with comfortable white sneakers, threw my hair up into a bun, and put on a hands-free bag, truly making this the perfect outfit for a hectic day.

T-shirt: H&M / Leggings: Aritzia / Denim Jacket: Zara / Furry Slides: Gucci

Finally, this last outfit is the perfect look for a late night class followed by drinks with your besties. I incorporated pieces from the previous looks in order to show you all just how easy it is to take items and re-wear them in completely different ways.

I started this look with a plain white t-shirt as my base. A plain white t-shirt is an essential item that should be in every girl’s wardrobe as it can be dressed up with a skirt, dressed down with some jeans, or even thrown on with some sweatpants and lounge wear.

Next, to add warmth, I added a unique denim jacket with knit detailing on the sleeves. Denim jackets are great all year round, but the detailing on the sleeves, as well as the deep, rich reds and blues really gives this jacket an updated feel.

On the bottom, I decided to throw on my leather leggings for comfort and style and to finish this outfit and opted for a pair of furry slides (they are basically slippers you can wear outside!)

Although looking for easy outfits to throw on can seem like a difficult and daunting task, it does not have to be! It is important that when you are building your wardrobe to keep a few simple points in mind:

1. Opt for basics that can be transitioned with the changing seasons
  2. Look for pieces that can be worn multiple ways and fit your personal style
  3. Pick items that you feel comfortable in – if you are unsure in the changing room, wait it out and if you are still thinking about that item, then go back!
  4. Step out of your comfort zone, try new trends, and have fun with fashion!

So the next time that you are staring into your closet, stressed out, claiming that you have, “nothing to wear”, have a little fun with your clothing, change things up, and experiment with different looks! After all, life may not be perfect, but your outfit can be! 

Image

A Criminal Justice and Public Policy major with a love for writing and fashion!  Instagram: Carlyabrahams 
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!