Wellness > Health

What Every Twenty-Something Needs to Know About Blood Clots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

First off, I don’t know if I was the only person who thought that only older people were at a higher risk of getting blood clots, but that is false (I know, slightly stupid on my part). Unless your doctor has told you that you are more susceptible to them at a young age for any given reason, most young people wouldn’t even think they could develop a blood clot.

However, at the age of 21, I ended up in the hospital with what they refer to as Deep Vein Thrombosis, which turned into a Pulmonary Embolism. In less scientific terms, I had a blood clot form in my leg; it went untreated and lodged itself into my lungs. To make matters worse, I was on day 3 of my trip to Australia when I went to the hospital to get checked and they found the clot. Thankfully, Australia has AMAZING health care and I was treated in a timely manner. The staff and the hospital were literally amazing, and honestly, I think the rest of the world could learn a thing or two from their system.

Also… Thank God for moms because mine flew to my rescue the day after I was admitted and sat beside my hospital bed for the remainder of the time I was in the hospital.

I had never had a clot before, and to my knowledge, I didn’t have anything preexisting that may have caused the clots to form. But, since this all transpired, I have learned quite a few things about clots that I wish I had known before. So, here are 6 important things to know about preventing blood clots in your twenties:

Birth control, specifically estrogen-based pills, can give you an increased risk for clots

I think it’s important to actually sit down and research the pill before you start. But, that is a whole other topic that I definitely don’t have the space to get into. One of the known side effects of estrogen based birth control pills is it puts women at an increased risk of getting blood clots. There are so many options for birth control out there, do your research and make sure that you have chosen the right one for your body.

Know your family history

Family history obviously plays a huge role in whether or not you are susceptible to clotting. Make sure you are aware of the possibility if there is any history, especially if you are considering going on the pill.

Do not sit for long periods of time while traveling without getting up and moving around

First mistake I made was sitting for the first 8 hours of my flight to Australia… apparently, this is a big no-no. Make sure that if you are on a long flight you are getting up, walking around and letting your blood flow properly. Staying in a seated position for too long will cause the blood to have restricted movement, which can form a clot.

Drink LOTS of water and stay away from alcohol while traveling

While yes, alcohol thins your blood, it also causes your body to get dehydrated. Which then causes your blood vessels to narrow and your blood to thicken. Now leaving your body at an increased risk to form clots. 

Wear compression socks for long-haul flights

In all honesty, I thought that at 21, I wouldn’t have to worry about this one. But, to be safe I would recommend this to everyone: wearing compression socks on long-haul flights. They help to keep your blood flowing and they significantly help reduce your risk of forming clots if you stay sitting for long periods of time. But, keep in mind, just because you have the socks on, doesn’t mean you can avoid walking and stretching on your flight.

Be AWARE. Know the signs and symptoms!

When I first became aware of the swelling in my leg, I brushed it off and thought it was just from the elevation of flying, being a little dehydrated and being in a warmer climate than my body was used to. Thankfully, I sent a picture to my mom who told me I needed to go to the hospital, and my friend’s dad mentioned that it could have been a DVT. Be sure to research the signs and symptoms of blood clots, because left untreated they can be very dangerous. I am so thankful I got to the hospital when I did because my clot cleared very quickly and the damages to my body were minimal.

I am pretty sure everyone thinks, “that would never happen to me” because, in all honesty, I thought that too. But being aware of something that could be potentially life-threatening is so important, especially since it definitely isn’t uncommon, particularly in young women. It is so important to be an advocate for your body and health, and if you feel there is something wrong, make sure you follow up with that gut instinct. 9 times out of 10, your gut instinct is right.

Carly is in fifth year at Univeristy of Guelph studying English and Family and Child Studies. Carly has a passion for writing, travelling and family. When Carly isn't writing for Her Campus or studying you can find her playing guitar, with friends or somewhere around the globe! Follow her on Instagram @carlyholmstead 
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!