matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

A few days ago, one of my friends asked me why I wear the hijab (headscarf). Even though I knew the answer to her question, I hesitated. I didn’t know exactly how to word the answer as to not appear too extremist. I didn’t want to feed into the narrative that Islam is “restrictive” and “oppressing.” I simply didn’t want to perpetuate the image that the media has been portraying about Islam. 

I was tempted to euphemize my answer in an attempt to downplay the Islamic aspect of my choice to wear the hijab. But then, I had a shocking realization. This was not the first time that I was having those conflicting thoughts. Many times in the past, I was faced with questions like “is it obligatory to pray five times a day?” or “do Muslims really have to abstain from alcohol?” My approach to these questions involved generically talking about how Islam is a beautiful religion that grants people the ability to choose between right and wrong, and how it’s ultimately our choice to follow these teachings. I’m not implying that any of these statements is false, but it’s quite obvious that I’m always trying to avoid directly answering the question in an attempt to underplay Islamic teachings that are often viewed as “too repressive”.

This is problematic for many reasons. As a Muslim, I choose to commit myself to God, and by declaring that commitment, I am agreeing to follow certain rules and respect certain limits. The word Islam literally means submission, and I think that’s beautiful. It’s beautiful to commit yourself to God and strive to please Him while still struggling with your own weaknesses. 

Moreover, if someone did view me as an extreme fundamentalist because of my dedication to my faith, then that is merely indicative of their own fallacious logic. So, I decided to stop being so apologetic about my commitment to my faith. From now on, if someone asked me why I pray or wear the hijab, I will unapologetically them why. From now on, I ’m going to stand up against society’s semi-constant scrutiny of my faith; I ’m going to embrace it and stop being apologetic about such an integral part of my identity.

Ghaid Asfour

Guelph '21

Ghaid is a student in the BSc program at the University of Guelph. She is passionate about gender equity, youth empowerment, education, research, and advocacy.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!