This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

As we all know, it is now the month of Halloween – ahem, I mean October – which means it’s time to get spooky. Halloween is my favourite time of year, and in case you’re not getting in the spirit yet, here are some of my favourite flicks to help you along! So take a break from that midterm studying, grab some friends and popcorn and pop one (or more) of these in for a great night!

1. Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Now, keep in mind that I could have easily made this list entirely Tim Burton, but I tried to limit myself to just this one (Corpse Bride is an extremely close second, but this one is a little more festive!). This classic is one I like to watch twice a year – the plot, the music and the animation just never get old. Plus, who doesn’t get in the spooky spirit when the opening bars of This Is Halloween begin to play? 

Photo Credit: The Nightmare Before Christmas 3D movie poster

2. Michael Jackson’s Thriller (1983)

Okay, so maybe it’s not a movie, but this cinematic masterpiece may as well be, which is why it’s on this list. This 14 minute long music video is just as gripping as any thriller movie, and is it really Halloween without hearing this song? The answer is no, so use this as your scary movie night warmup!

3. Stephan King’s It (2017)

If clowns don’t creep you out already, it’s safe to say they probably will after you watch this movie. Though I appreciate the 1990 miniseries as much as anyone else, it’s hard to argue that the 2017 adaption of the Stephan King novel is the one to watch this Halloween. The amazing cast of this movie is sure to have you laughing (and screaming)!

4. Halloween (1978)

Come on, it’s right in the name – it would be a crime to not put this movie on the list! This slasher classic about escaped murderer Michael Myers is sure to keep you on the edge of your seat – there’s also a new addition to the series coming out on October 19th, so be sure to pop this one in as a refresher before it hits theaters!

5. Coraline (2009)

Ten-year-old me was not prepared for how scary this movie was back when it was released in 2009, and to be quite honest, it creeps me out to this day. The fact that it’s animated doesn’t make the button eyes any less sinister, so why not delve into the Other World for a night to get into the Halloween spirit?

6. Hocus Pocus (1993)

Just like Tim Burton, I only wanted to put one Disney movie on this list (Halloweentown, I didn’t forget about you!) and Hocus Pocus is the way to go! This movie features Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy as witches (what more could you want?) and is extremely hilarious. So show this movie some love for its 25th anniversary!

7. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

The most critically acclaimed movie on this list, this horror film is one of the only three movies to win all five categories of the Big Five Academy Awards. This cast and crew swept up the Academy Awards for best actor, actress, director, picture and adapted screenplay. Plus, Anthony Hopkins is just plain creepy – in a good way, of course.

Leah is a fourth year Marine Biology student at the University of Guelph and a writer and editor in chief for Her Campus. In her free time she can be found engaging in activities such as reading and writing, drinking iced coffee, playing video games and staring longingly at the dogs she’s not allowed to pet on campus.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!