This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

I love to travel. I mean really, who doesn’t!? As I’m preparing for another trip to Europe this spring, I decided to reflect on some of my favourite cities that I’ve previously traveled to. Traveling can teach us so many important lessons, give us a sense of independence, and an appreciation for different cultures.

I have learned so much from my previous trips to Europe. I have gone on two tours and have planned a month-long backpacking trip. I love traveling both ways; but, tours are the best option as everything is organized and taken care of by an awesome tour guide. They even tell you all there is to know about the different touristic sites and cities. At the same time, planning a backpacking trip gives you the freedom of choice as it’s up to you where you want to go, for how long, and what you see and do at each destination. Regardless of how you travel in Europe, here are some of my favourite cities!

1. London, England

As a history buff, I love London. This city is filled with many famous attractions. From the Big Ben to the Tower of London, the Buckingham Palace, the London Eye, Westminster Abbey and Stonehenge, London is certain to keep you busy! Go on a Hop On Hop Off city tour, walk around, or take a cruise on the Thames River.

2.  Paris, France

Another city that I love is Paris. There exist many conflicting and various opinions on the greatness of Paris, but after multiple visits, I fall in love with the city more and more every time. Attractions like the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, the Palace of Versailles, l’Arc de Triomphe and Notre Dame are worthwhile to go see in Paris.

3.        Florence, Italy

If you ever visit Italy, make sure that the city of Florence makes it into the cut as one of your stops! With beautiful buildings such as Il Duomo and a beautiful river scene with Ponte Vecchio, the city is a must-see. Don’t forget to visit the sculpture David by Michelangelo! One of my personal highlights in Florence was walking on the outskirts of the city and having climbed up a big hill that had a great landing which gave a beautiful view of the city. Go during the day to see the mountains in the distance, or go at night and see the city entirely lit up!

4.  Amsterdam, Netherlands

This was the first destination on my backpacking trip and it was such a lovely city. The canals throughout the city and the fact that there were bicycles everywhere made Amsterdam so unique! Make sure to take a canal cruise and drink some Heineken in one of the oldest bars near the train station. Outside of the city in the countryside, windmills and fields of tulips make for such a gorgeous landscape!

5.  Eastern European Cities: Prague, Czech Republic; Budapest, Hungary; Krakow, Poland

These Eastern European Cities are each so unique and I absolutely loved exploring them. I always tell people to go visit Eastern Europe because it does not get enough credit for the beautiful countries and sceneries it has to offer. They truly are a hidden gem! Another bonus reason to go visit these countries: It is extremely cheap to travel around and eat delicious food. Each city has astonishing architecture, city squares and awesome hostels to stay in. Prague Castle, Budapest’s parliament buildings, and Krakow’s Old Town square were some of my highlights from my Eastern European adventures.

Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!