matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Tips for overnight bus adventures

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

During my time in Guelph I had my fair share of overnight bus adventures. It saves a ton of money and usually gives you more time in the city. BUT it can also be really exhausting and stretching your nerves. So, here are my top 7 tips for overnight bus adventures. Hopefully they’ll make your trips more bearable!

1. Bring enough water with you!

Like airplanes, busses usually have really dry air- so you’ll be happy to drink water whenever you wake up. But be careful and don’t drink too much- you know how the toilets are in the busses…

2. Bring a book or download a movie

Usually you will not sleep the entire 12 hours, so why not bring a book or watch a lovely movie to kill some time.

3. Have a neck pillow

They will save you from eternal neck pain… not really but you’ll sleep so much better having a neck pillow. Especially when you don’t get a window seat.

4. Carry earplugs with you

On busses you’ll find many annoying sounds. A baby crying, a person on the phone, the engine sounds of the bus, a person snoring and probably endless more. So, when you’re not listening to music or watching a movie- bring some earplugs with you!

5. Bring snacks!

Every true adventure needs snacks! You’ll be so thankful when you wake up for the 10th time at 4am and have some pretzel sticks or gummy bears to snack on. 

6. Get there early enough

I had to learn that myself as well. If you want a good seat or when you want to sit next to your friend, get there at least 30 min or better an hour before. Otherwise you might have to sit next to the baby…

7. Be patient & uncomplicated

Probably the most important tip I can give you, is to be patient and uncomplicated. Usually the busses run late, it’s either too cold or too hot, you will get into traffic and your muscles will hurt. That’s just part of the (overnight) bus adventure. Don’t expect too high standards and be annoyed by little things.

Livia grew up in Switzerland and is currently doing her exchange semester at the University of Guelph. She is a Marketing and Business major in her last year. In her free time you'll find Livia drinking endless amounts of coffee, reading books, cuddling kittens or hiking in the mountains. If you want to read more of Livia's writing, check out her blog www.wonderlifeofliv.wordpress.com
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!