Three Reasons Why Dressing up for Halloween Is the Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

There’s always that age-old question when Halloween rolls around in late October: to be or not to be in costume. However, putting on your wildest outfit and makeup for a Halloween party or a festive movie night with friends can be a really enjoyable experience. These are three reasons why dressing up for the spookiest night of the year is one of my favourite Halloween traditions.

1.     You get to be someone you’re not

You’re the amazing person you are for 365 days a year, but do you ever wish you could be someone else for a while? Halloween is your day! You can be your favourite movie character, a celebrity, or even a cat. The possibilities are endless. Just make sure you carefully consider what you’re planning to wear to avoid creating a costume that may be offensive.

2. You get to wear wacky makeup

If you were to walk into a party on an ordinary evening with make-up that made your face look like it had been run over by a car, there would be staring. However, this is completely acceptable on Halloween night. The weirder, the better!

3. It is okay for your outfit to be bizarre

Similar to makeup, Halloween night is the time to wear the weirdest pieces in your closet. Your striped leggings don’t have to match with your plaid shirt. Your hair can be slick with sparkly gel. You may even have a pair of gauzy fairy wings or a cape on your back. Halloween is definitely the time to forget everyday sweatpants, hoodies, and wear something different!

Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!