This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

In an age where we consume media more than ever, it is necessary to have diverse characters. There is still a huge lack of disabled characters, and those that are included are often made into victims and plot points. While it is integral to keep pushing for more disability representation, let’s look at some awesome disabled characters who exist already. 

1- Viktor from Arcane (Netflix Original Series) 

Viktor is a scientist and an assistant who lives in Piltover, a rich and thriving city. He uses a metallic cane. Viktor has a brilliant scientific mind and is full of ambition. 

2. Amaya from Dragon Prince (Netflix Original Series) 

Amaya is a general in the army of Katolis, and one of the highest-ranking at that. She is Deaf and uses American Sign Language to communicate. Amaya is a skilled fighter and leader with excellent survival skills. Her weapons of choice are her sword and signature shield.  

3- Toph from Avatar: The Last Airbender (TV Series) 

Toph Beifong is an Earthbending master who fights alongside the Avatar. At the age of twelve, she is the strongest Earthbender in the world. Toph is Blind and uses the earth’s vibrations to know where she’s going. Toph comes from an important family that hides her existence to protect their reputation, but she runs away with the Avatar gang where she can be herself and make a difference.  

4- Judah from Bojack Horseman (Netflix Original Series) 

Judah is Princess Carolyn’s assistant at VIM. He is autistic and has trouble understanding sarcasm and humour. Judah is hardworking and helps Princess Carolyn stay on top of her schedule, like planning her meetings and taking her calls. He is a caring friend and goes above his duties to take care of the people he works with. 

5. Entrapta from She-Ra and the Princesses of Power (Netflix Original Series) 

Entrapta is a Princess, a scientist, and a tech genius. She is autistic and feels more comfortable around robots than people and has a love for tiny food. Entrapta is on a personal quest to understand First One’s tech and perfect her inventions, but she also lends her services to the war.  

6. Oscar from Renegades (book series by Marissa Meyer) 

Oscar Silva, aka Smokescreen, is a superhero who can summon and control smoke. He uses a cane and fights as a part of the Renegades, an organization of superheroes dedicated to protecting Gatlon City. Oscar is a jokester and has an upbeat personality.  

7. James Rhodes from The Marvel Cinematic Universe 

James Rhodes, aka War Machine, is a superhero and an Avenger. He fights in a metal suit that started as an Iron Man prototype and was later painted and upgraded to become the War Machine. During a fight, James was injured, leaving both his legs paralyzed. He now uses leg braces to walk.  

8. Teo from Avatar: The Last Airbender (TV Series) 

Teo is an adventurous kid who lives in the Northern Air Temple. He is the son of an inventor. Teo uses a wheelchair which he attaches to a glider so that he can fly. Teo joins the avatar in the fight against the Fire Nation. 

9. Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV Series) 

Edward Elric is the youngest official alchemist. He works for the government using his abilities to fight and catch criminals. Edward is a double amputee who was injured in an alchemy accident. He has top-notch alchemy skills and is also adept at hand-to-hand combat. 

10. Darth Vader from Star Wars 

Darth Vader is quite possibly the coolest villain ever. With a tragic backstory and a terrifyingly awesome costume, Darth Vader goes down in history as a villain for the books. Darth Vader is a quadruple amputee and burn survivor and a Sith Lord. He is known for super cool entrances and fight scenes, and a famous line about being Luke’s father that is never remembered correctly, but what we can remember is his style. 

Beckett is a fourth year student at the University of Guelph in the position of editor for Her Campus at Guelph. They are majoring in English, with a minor in Creative Writing. They are a poet and a writer with a love of books, nature and shiny things.