This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

I don’t want to put a damper on the holiday, but it is more important than anything to stay safe, especially if you’re going out this Valentine ’s Day. This is an article I wish I didn’t have to write, but sadly, sexual assault still isn’t a rare occurrence in today’s society. In fact, there was a recent report of sexual assault on the University of Guelph campus just last week – these things happen a lot closer to home than we think, whether we realize it or not. So if you don’t have a date this Valentine’s day (no shame!) and want to go out and have fun with your friends, just remember to stay safe – here are a few things to remember!

• Don’t leave your drink unattended If you need to go to the bathroom or leave the room when on a night out with friends, either finish your drink, get someone to watch it for you, or get a new one! It’s better to be safe than sorry.

• Safety in numbers Need a bathroom break or want to grab the jacket you forgot in the car? Make it a buddy trip! Having someone with you doesn’t just give you some company, it makes you feel safer!

• Stay aware Have your keys, student ID or whatever you need in your hand before you leave and try not to look down at your phone as you’re walking at night – not only are you not aware of your surroundings, but it makes you an easy target. Having your keys out before you leave also simply allows you to get to where you are going quicker!

• Have (or be) the “mom friend” If you’re going to be drinking a lot, make sure that you have someone look out for you or your other friends that may be drinking.

There are many more tips and tricks I could list about keeping yourself safe, but I’m sure we remember most of them from high school health class – these are just some of the ones I find most important! Stay safe and Happy Valentine’s!

Leah is a fourth year Marine Biology student at the University of Guelph and a writer and editor in chief for Her Campus. In her free time she can be found engaging in activities such as reading and writing, drinking iced coffee, playing video games and staring longingly at the dogs she’s not allowed to pet on campus.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!