This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

During January every gym is always packed with people. But as the days go by, each week the gym starts getting emptier and emptier. 

It’s really common to set a goal to go every day to workout but as life happens, this gets harder and we begin to make excuses. Let’s face it, it does take part of our precious time to get out and workout for an hour. 

Being a gym a junky, here are some of my tips to not lose interest in working out and stay committed. 

1. Get it out of the way first thing in the morning 

If you’re able, head to the gym right in the morning. Preferably before starting your day. I found that working out in the morning is a great way to wake up and be even more productive through the day. This way, you don’t need to worry about it after a tiring day of class/work. 

2. Find a gym buddy 

To be honest, I get super lazy to go to the gym  as well. But what pulls me through are my friends who also like to head to the gym. Without each other, there would be no encouragement  and the laziness would kick in. Having a gym partner helps make you stay accountable to your goals. Additionally, it’s also another way to spend time with your friends. 

3. Create a workout routine 

Sometimes, you can feel lost going to the gym. Especially if it’s your first time and you don’t know how to use the equipment. In this situation, I recommend finding a workout routine online or creating your own. By doing this, you don’t waste time your time deciding what exercises to do and can use your time more effectively. Many online workout routines use easy equipment or sometimes just your body weight. Making them super convenient to do anywhere! 

4. Join a group fitness class 

Joining a class that really interests you is also a great way to stay committed. There are many types of classes such as yoga, kickboxing or  zoomba. I recommend trying out all the classes and choosing one that interests you the most. Additionally, when you enjoy your workout time seems to fly by and your done before you know it. You can even do different classes every day to increase variety and prevent boredom. 

I hope you take these considerations into mind. It’s very easy to lose interest in getting out in the cold weather and working out. But if you’re determined anything is possible! 

Ara Kirtikar

Guelph '21

Living life to the fullest <3
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!