This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Ah, the annual struggle of watching couples shower each other with love and affection all over social media for a whole day. It’s cute if you’re in a relationship, and I’m definitely not hating – I think it’s great to show off your partner and the connection you have! For those of us who are celebrating Valentine’s day single, it can be difficult to not feel lonely when all of your friends’ relationships are put on display. But Valentine’s day doesn’t have to suck. Instead, view Valentine’s day as a celebration of ALL types of love: love for your family, love for your friends, love for your pets, love for yourself. I am a true believer that love makes the world go around, and therefore I usually celebrate Valentine’s day no matter my relationship status. Here are some of my favourite ways to celebrate Valentine’s day, even when I’m single.  

1. Spend the day pampering yourself like you would if you were getting ready for a first date.  

This is my top favourite Valentine’s day activity! Even if you don’t have plans, consider taking a couple of hours to get ready as if you were going on a fancy date. Have a bubble bath, spend time taking care of your skin, do your hair and makeup if you want, and put on an outfit that makes you feel confident. Spending time pampering yourself this way is an amazing show of self-care, and you don’t need evening plans to do this! Pro tip – after you’re done getting ready, ask a roommate to take some pictures of you (or do it yourself with a self-timer). You definitely won’t regret having photos of a time you did something nice for yourself.  

2. Enjoy your favourite music, Netflix shows, and movies that remind you of love. 

Valentine’s day is the perfect day to watch rom-coms, listen to love songs, and binge Netflix. If you need some ideas, here are my top picks: The albums “The Divine Feminine” by Mac Miller or “Ctrl” by SZA are incredible for feelings of confidence, power, and femininity. For movies, I like the To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before trilogy, and the newest film is coming out on Netflix on February 12th – perfect timing for V-day.  

3. Bake a dessert and share it with people you love. 

Maybe baking is just my love language, but there’s nothing that makes me happier than baking yummy treats and sharing them with my friends. What’s even better is baking together! Find a recipe or two to try on Pinterest, put on some music, and have fun whipping up delicious treats. I suggest anything with strawberries and chocolate (which are praised for their aphrodisiac properties – the more you know).  

4. Try writing yourself a love letter. This is an amazing exercise to practice self-love. 

This is a great prompt for journaling experts and newcomers alike. Find a piece of paper or a notebook and set aside 20-30 minutes for uninterrupted writing. Then, think about all the traits you love and cherish about yourself. This can be hard, especially for those of us who struggle with body image, but I think that makes an even greater argument for trying it out. Spend the time writing a letter to your past, present, or future self; detailing all of the big and small things that you love. Afterward, store the letter to read at a time you need the extra love. You deserve it. 

5. Read a book about self-love, healing, or anything else that you need to hear.  

What better time to read about self-improvement than Valentine’s day? My list includes You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay, Radical Self-Love: A Guide to Loving Yourself and Living Your Dreams by Gala Darling, and The Body Is Not an Apology: The Power of Radical Self-Love by Sonya Renee Taylor. These books, and many others, will teach you important lessons about caring and nourishing the body, mind, and spirit – crucial lessons to learn in your youth.  

6. Consider a break from social media for the day. 

I know Valentine’s day might feel lonely despite how you choose to keep busy. That’s okay! I also know that spending hours scrolling through your Snapchat, TikTok, and Instagram feeds is not a productive way to feel better. Instead of feeding this loneliness with pictures of “happy” couples, turn off your notifications and limit your screen time, if even just for the day. I promise you’ll feel a lot better.  

Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!