This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

University is a time filled with learning, self-growth, and unforgettable memories. In four years you will watch yourself transform, whether it is in terms of interests, who you are as a person, or both. 

In first year, life is new and exciting as you are on your own for the first time, pulling all-nighters, going to parties, and meeting new people. Second year brings even more autonomy, as you move into a house/apartment with your friends; navigate grocery shopping, public transit, and more; and start to feel the true pressure of school. By third year you feel confident as a student and start working towards your goals, while still learning to take care of yourself. In fourth year, you’ll likely trade bars in for pubs, take-out in for home-made meals, all-nighters in for a decent bedtime, and procrastination in for avid planning. You’ll be an adult, ready to transition into the world.

But what happens when you aren’t finished all of your credits? What happens when university requires you to stay an extra while? What happens when you already had your fourth year experience, but have to keep going? In my experience as a fifth year student it can be really difficult, discouraging and lonely. As a result, here are some fifth year struggles I have encountered thus far. Hopefully if you are a fifth year student, this is your reminder that you are not alone in your experience.

1. The fatigue is real.

Be honest with yourself, you are straight-up tired of being in school. If you were in a new program, new degree, etc. it may re-energize you. But in all honesty, fifth-year is exhausting. I have slept more this semester than I ever have during past semesters. But truth be told you just have to push your body a little more, you are almost there.

2. Say goodbye to your motivation.

Though coursework feels like clockwork and isn’t as intimidating anymore, it doesn’t make it any easier to bring yourself to do it, especially when you’ve gone through the motions 8 times already. Sure you know what to do, how to do it, and how long it will take you, but in all honesty the midterms-final assignments-final exams schedule has gotten stale. Just remind yourself how hard you have worked over the past years, and that you can’t let yourself down now.

3. Commuting can cause disconnect.

Commuting is hard as it is. Anybody commutes to school or work will tell you that. However, it is even harder when you commute to a school that used to feel like yours, but because it is now in a different city that you aren’t living in, it sometimes feels foreign. Try joining a club to meet people, attending talks, networking events, or meeting up with an old friend. You have to remind yourself you still have a place at your school.

4. I miss my university friends.

Part of the disconnect is knowing a lot of the people you shared four years with have graduated. You won’t bump into them on campus, you won’t have the same study groups, and you may find as you take classes with true-fourth-years, that you are jealous of all the relationships they still have. If you are feeling this way, try to hook-up with any friends who also might be doing a fifth year, who may be at your school doing post-grad, or who may be in lower years. You are never as alone as you think you are. 

5. Graduation Countdown.

If I am being honest, the only way I am getting through this year is by counting down the days to graduation. In fourth year, my friends dreaded graduation because it meant they had to figure out what was next for them. I try to keep that in mind and be appreciative for my fifth year, because I know the uncertainty has not truly hit yet. But honestly, I am just looking forward to taking a year off to travel, work, and apply to post-graduate schools. Though this approach to fifth year might seem depressing, I actually believe it is a good thing. It pushes you to keep going, it makes you aware of all the things you should take advantage of before graduation (i.e. research experiences, clubs, resources), it helps you appreciate how far you’ve come, but most of all it reminds you that you’re almost there. You can see the light.

6. Everyone, EVERYONE, looks like a high schooler.

Remember that feeling when you went to university in first year, and then you went back to your hometown the summer after and saw high schoolers in your community? Remember how young they looked? That is how everyone will look to you in fifth year.  In all honesty you too may look like you’re still 1, but what you will truly be aware of is all of the maturity and growth you gained in your first four years. Be appreciative of how far you have come. 

7. It’s time to move on.

It is extremely frustrating when you can’t move on although you know you’re ready. As a result, this year will be hard, but you will learn a lot about self-discipline, perseverance, and just how strong you can be when necessary. That feeling of wanting to move on is also actually good. It means you are ready for whatever is next. You are ready for all the amazing things the future has to bring. So although sometimes the experience of being a fifth year truly becomes isolating, frustrating and downright dreadful at times, remember, good things are coming. 

“Beginnings always hide themselves in endings” – Mike Posner

I am a fifth year student in the Honours BA Psychology program, minoring in Political Science at the University of Guelph. Over my first four years as a student I have learned that nothing helps relieve stress like a creative outlet, especially if you are an overly creative person in the social sciences. Growing up in an artistic household, I learned love, happiness, and any other emotion or experience could be expressed productively through various mediums. I learned to draw, paint, dance competitively, take pictures, and, most relevant to this situation, write, all thanks to my super creative mother. As a result, HerCampus is an amazing outlet for my creative side while I bear the pressure of meeting graduate school requirements. I can't wait to see what my final undergrad year with HerCampus has in store!
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!