This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

I have been lucky enough to have started a wonderful relationship during this terrible year of COVID-19. It’s been great to have a partner during this time and still have romance in my life while being safe and only seeing my partner. The only downside is it can be challenging to come up with fun date ideas; there has been a whole lot of Netflix and chill in my life. So I thought I would share some date ideas to help out the other couples, and these are excellent friend date ideas as well! 

1. Markets 

In Guelph, I absolutely love Wellington Country Market Place. You can pick up fresh, local fruits and veggies, as well as other delicious treats like meat, cheese, and homemade donuts! Though I love LOVE snacks, my favourite part of this market is probably the animals. There are a few donkeys, ponies, and goats for you to visit and pet. 

2. Walks/hikes 

This has absolutely been our go-to date idea throughout the winter. We have loved exploring Guelph trails, driving to Halton parks, or just walking through the neighbourhood. It’s a great way to move your body, get some fresh air, and spend quality time. I find walking can lead to great conversations! 

3. Skating 

It may be getting too warm now, but there might still be a few skate-worthy winter days left! We are still only in fool’s spring, and ‘third winter’ is definitely ready to creep up on us… We have loved skating on little rinks made in the neighbourhoods around Guelph, definitely recommend checking it out! 

4. Day trips into towns 

We love exploring new places, and definitely wish we could travel. Of course, now is not the time to hop on a plane and explore a whole new place (let’s be honest, we couldn’t afford to even if there wasn’t a pandemic.) So we have loved driving into different little towns, wandering around for the day, popping into local shops, and grabbing lunch. It has been a great way to support small businesses and satisfy a little bit of wanderlust! Some Ontario towns that I definitely recommend are Elora, Paris, and Niagra-on-the-lake. Or just explore downtown Guelph!  

5. Make it fun to stay home! 

We definitely love watching TV and movies, but sometimes you need to change things up a little! 

• Take out and dress up! Look fancy for some take out at your kitchen table 

• Painting (check out bob ross’ episodes on Netflix) 

• Game night! Physical, or virtual. We have been loving trying chess, or using Jackbox.tv or backyard.co to play games with our friends! 

Lastly, I had to ask for the BF’s input… he says to watch Chelsea games… I disagree, but apparently, compromise is important in relationships (I call BS)!

Megan is a 4th-year student in Biomedical Science at the University of Guelph. She loves ice cream and the colour pink (both probably at an unreasonable level of enthusiasm), and has no idea what to do with her life - so is open to suggestions!
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!