Culture > News

Other cultures aren’t your fashion statement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

A couple of years ago, someone asked me if it’s offensive to try wearing the hijab (headscarf) for a day just to see what it’s like. She wanted to stand in solidarity with Muslim women who get disproportionally targeted by Islamophobes because of the visibility that comes with wearing the hijab. It was heart-warming to see how much she cared; her desire to try wearing the hijab certainly didn’t offend me. 

Fast forward to last year on Halloween, when I saw a man wearing a very primitive-looking costume, which I later found out was meant to be a thobe (the traditional Saudi Arabian dress). I was both offended and outraged. Being Arab myself, I know how rich the Arabic culture is. I’m infatuated by its language, values, and traditions. Seeing that man reducing an entire culture to a simple piece of fabric was infuriating. 

This is a good time to pause, compare, and reflect.  How come one of these incidents was offensive while the other wasn’t? This got me thinking about the difference between cultural appropriation and cultural appreciation. The woman from the first scenario had done her fair share of research about the hijab. She wanted to wear it to gain a deeper understanding of what it’s like to be a woman who chooses to cover up in today’s world. The man in the second scenario picked an aspect of a culture and used their traditional dress as a fashion statement, without showing respect or understanding of that culture. 

Here is something to think about when choosing your Halloween costume: Is the costume offensive to anyone? Think about whether it represents a certain group of people. If it is offensive, it might be time to find another costume.

Ghaid Asfour

Guelph '21

Ghaid is a student in the BSc program at the University of Guelph. She is passionate about gender equity, youth empowerment, education, research, and advocacy.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!