This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

I love listening to podcasts. They are great for when you need an escape, whether that is on the busy bus to campus or while you’re doing chores (when you would rather be watching Netflix). They are also super easy to consume! All you have to do is put on your headphones and press play, and you can listen to them whenever, wherever. The best part about podcasts is that there is one for everyone. There is an endless variety of topics you can choose from. If you aren’t sure where to start, I have made a list of my favourite podcasts to kick off your listening journey!

1. Why Won’t You Date Me? With Nicole Byer

I LOVE this podcast. Nicole Byer is witty, bubbly, and always has a wild story to tell. This podcast is a hunt to figure out why she is still single. Each week Nicole invites a guest to interview their dating life and to get advice on her own. Her and her guests talk about a variety of topics including Tinder, bad hookups, sexting, body positivity, and dating during the pandemic. These conversations are real and raw. I love how her podcast makes you laugh, but also gives you beneficial advice on how to spice up or improve your dating life. An episode to make sure you check out is episode 141 called “Fatphobia” with Roxane Gay. They talk about their experiences as fat women, and their discussion is humorous but they also reveal hard truths and the struggles they experience on a daily basis.

Available for free on iTunes and Spotify!

2. Newcomers with Lauren Lapkus and Nicole Byer

This summer I watched Lord of The Rings for the first time and let me tell you, it was a journey. I did love all of the movies, but it was hard to get to know all of the characters and their intricate backgrounds, not to mention there are over 11 hours of it. In season 2 of this podcast, Lapkus and Byer also watch the series for the first time and share their experience. They are hilarious and each episode had me laughing. What I like about this podcast is that they are also experiencing this trilogy for the first time, so a lot of the questions they had, I had too! In season one they watched the Star Wars trilogy and it was also a lot of fun. By the end of season 2, they are buying baby Yoda merch and learning Elvish. This podcast is great for people that enjoyed Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, but also for those that had many unanswered questions… like when Gandolf and Saruman are supposedly in an intense battle but look like they are spinning around together in a dance number! 

3. The Ladies’ Guide to Dude Cinema

Ladies!!! Has a guy ever been shocked you haven’t seen Top Gun, The Terminator, or any of The Fast and Furious movies?! Well, if so, then this podcast is definitely for you. The Ladies Guide to Dude Cinema is an entertaining, comedic, and empowering podcast that gives female listeners a safe space to have opinions on “dude movies.” The hosts Alex, Jae, and Bec Charlwood are Australian comedians who watch and review movies that guys recommend they see or have shamed them for not watching. I love listening to this podcast because they share the same love and passion for movies that I have, and they give great reviews.

Emily Gibson

Guelph '21

Emily is The University of Guelph's Chapter Marketing and Publicity Director! She is a fourth-year English major who loves spending her time watching movies, writing, and discovering new places. One day she wants to visit Greece to fulfill her Mamma Mia dreams.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!