My Love for Movies and What They Taught Me About Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

You could say I am a sucker for movies; it is a chance to escape from your life and from stress (even if it is for 2 hours). Movies are also great because they also teach us valuable lessons, lessons that maybe we needed to be taught, or experiences that we need to be reminded of once in a while. I cannot speak for everyone; I think it’s fair to say we want to be taught about love.  I’ll admit it I don’t have all the answers, but I do know that there are many different kinds of love. It’s what I think we had experienced or will experience at some point in our lifetimes. Here I want to share which movies had taught me about the different kinds of love. 

Love and Family 

Big Fish is the story that revolves around a dying father and his son. Over the years, the son has never quite understood his father’s obsession with his ‘tall tales,’ there was not a time where he could get a straight answer from the father. It wasn’t the father was at the end of his life, the son tried to piece together what kind of person his father is, “ A man tells his stories so many times that he becomes his stories. They live on after him, and in that way, he becomes immortal.” The son realizes that every tale about his father’s childhood, his first job, or his love is all a part of who he is. Like any parent who tries to teach their children essential life lessons, the father teaches his experiences through his stories.  

Love and Friendship 

Lord of the Rings (LOTR) is the prime example of what friendship should be. Let’s take a look at Frodo and Sam; throughout the series, Frodo doubted his ability to complete his task. Like with most things in life, sometimes we have to do something that we do not necessarily want to do. In Frodo’s case, his task took a mental and physical toll on him. However, it was during those hard times Sam was there to encourage Frodo. Let’s not forget, before Frodo’s journey, Sam volunteered to come without even realizing or expecting what might lie ahead. At one point in the series, Frodo could not bring himself to climb up the mountain of Mount Doom to destroy the ring. Not only did Sam try to lift Frodo’s spirit, but he also literally lifted Frodo and carried him up the mountain. We all face difficult and hard times along our path- having that one friend who can support you with love can make all the difference. 

Self-love 

Ratatouille– You cannot help but admire Remy. Even when a rat is not allowed in the kitchen, he found a way to work in the kitchen. It didn’t matter who or where he came from; he had a deep passion for cooking and believed that he could do it. Like what Anton Ego said, “Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere.” It may sound cliche, and maybe it is, but we do need to believe and love ourselves a little more if we want to do the things that we love. 

Just a girl who is currently majoring in Biological Science and a minor in Nutrition. Since my first year at uni I had always loved being in my field, but oddly enough with my head mostly in the clouds (Pisces) you could say writing has always been my way of being a bit creative.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!