This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

With the recent announcement of Broadway’s prolonged closure until 2021 paired with the fact I live in Canada and won’t be traveling to the states anytime soon, it seems like the perfect time to snuggle at home for a musical themed movie night. Luckily, there are a plethora of new Broadway musical adapted movies coming up in the next year or so. 

1. The Prom  

Based on the hit musical of the same name, The Prom follows a high school girl whose school cancels their prom after she comes out, and Broadway celebrities then pitch in to correct the situation. The movie features an all-star cast including Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman, and Kerry Washington, as well as newcomer Jo Ellen Pellman in the titular role. If that’s not enough to get you excited, it will also be released on Netflix on December 11 of this year, so it’s perfect for a pandemic safe movie night!  

2. Dear Evan Hansen  

Dear Evan Hansen was an immediate hit with audiences during its opening and run on Broadway. The movie stars Ben Platt (who originated the Broadway role of Evan Hansen) as well as Amandla Stenberg, Amy Adams, Kaitlyn Dever, and Julianne Moore.  

3. West Side Story  

A remake of the popular stage and film musical, West Side Story follows an adapted version of the classic Romeo and Juliet love story set to a New York City backdrop. This film adaptation was set to release this year, but due to COVID-19, it was decided to push back the release to 2021. It stars Rachel Zegler, Ansel Elgort, Ariana DeBose, and David Alvarez as well as many other Broadway stars.  

4. In the Heights  

If you are a Hamilton fan, make sure to watch Lin Manuel Miranda’s In the Heights.  Set in the neighborhood of Washington Heights, the musical follows the lives of various characters as they go through their day. The film stars Hamilton’s Anthony Ramos, Dascha Polanco, Stephanie Beatrix, and Melissa Barrera. Similar to West Side Story, In the Heights was slated for theatrical release this past summer but has since been pushed back to a 2021 release date.  

5. Everybody’s Talking About Jamie  

While I’ve personally never heard of this show, after watching the trailer for the film, it looks like I’ve been missing out! The musical was inspired by Jamie: Drag Queen at 16,  a true story, and was performed in the West End. It features a teenage boy as he explores his identity and pursues his dream of becoming a drag queen. The movie stars Max Harwood as Jamie, Lauren Patel, Richard E. Grant, and Sharon Horgan, and is set for release in early 2021!

6. Mean Girls  

If you were a fan of the original Mean Girls movie, you’ll likely be excited for the upcoming adaption based on the Broadway musical! This film will likely not be coming out particularly soon as they are still in the process of casting, but that just gives us more time to listen to the songs of the hit musical in preparation.  

Rachel is a fourth year bio-medical science student at the University of Guelph.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!