This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.
  • Buy Your Tickets in Advance

When a popular movie is released, it is best to save yourself the headache of not getting a seat by purchasing your ticket either online or by heading to the theater in advance of the show. This also allows you the freedom to pick your seats ahead of time to assure you get the best viewing experience. 

• Concessions, Concessions, Concessions! 

Although the smell of movie theater popcorn can be tempting, avoid spending a ton of cash on concession food. Spring for a small popcorn and a drink but avoid things like hotdogs and nachos which aren’t purchased as often and are likely not fresh. 

• Better Butter

If you do happen to grab some popcorn, don’t pay for butter!  A lot of times, the theater will have a butter machine near entrance to the auditoriums that is free to use. For a better butter distribution, use one of the straws provided near the machine and attach it to the nozzle to pour the butter into the middle of the bag. Less messy and you won’t have dry kernels at the bottom. 

• Best Seat in the House

For optimal sound quality, sit 2/3 of the way back in a theater as this is where technicians sit when testing the sound. 

• Refunds

Most cinemas have a policy that allows you to receive a refund on your ticket if you leave before the 30-minute mark of a movie. Don’t be afraid to leave if you aren’t enjoying your movie experience as you can usually get your money back! 

• Cineplex Rewards

Sign up for a free Scene points card and receive points whenever you watch a movie or eat at participating restaurants. This card doesn’t require an annual fee and there’s no downside to having one. It’s fairly easy to collect points and you can use it to get free tickets and even concession food! 

Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!