This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

If you’re like me and prefer being in a classroom environment for your learning experience, the news about having to take online classes for the rest of the semester kind of sucks. I took a handful of online classes in high school, but other that that, I’ve only taken one in university, and it was easy to put that one on the back burner while I put most of my focus on my other in-class lectures. But now that they’re all going to be online, my first thought was “How am I going to be able to manage this?” After doing a lot of thinking, here are some ways I’m going to try to make the most out of my online education! 

Keep a Consistent Schedule  

This is probably what’s going to be the most difficult for some people. If you’re like me, it’s hard to keep yourself on a consistent schedule if you don’t have a class to go to, but remember – however much time you would have spent in the class room, you should be spending learning the material (and that’s before studying!). Luckily, the professors are going to try to make this transition as smooth as possible, and will even be recording audio and video lectures for those who benefit from the classroom experience. Shout out to all of the hardworking profs! 

Try to Minimize Distractions  

I sometimes find it hard to work or study in my room, which is why I like to work in the library – however, for many this might not exactly be an option right now. Try working in the living room, putting your phone on do not disturb, or taking out your headphones for a bit while you try to make the most of your new school days.  

Ask Questions  

With limited face-to-face communication with the profs, it’s more important than ever to ensure you understand the material, and if you don’t, ask questions!  

Set Reminders for Due Dates  

Keep on top of your assignments! Even if the dates are posted on the slides, things always slip my mind, and I benefit greatly from the in-class reminders from the profs. Although I already have a list of due dates week by week, I’ll be checking it extra often!  

Leah is a fourth year Marine Biology student at the University of Guelph and a writer and editor in chief for Her Campus. In her free time she can be found engaging in activities such as reading and writing, drinking iced coffee, playing video games and staring longingly at the dogs she’s not allowed to pet on campus.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!