Kendall Jenner’s Pepsi Ad Seriously Backfired

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

By now you’ve probably seen Kendall Jenner’s latest ad with Pepsi; it’s gone viral and for all the wrong reasons. 

The controversy is stemming from the scene of Jenner approaching a line of police officers standing before protesters. She hands one of the cops a Pepsi and the crowd erupts into cheers and fist bumps while the police officer takes a sip. Many believe the commercial is attempting to mirror the Black Lives Matter movement, as viewers have noticed that the scene described is incredibly similar to an image of Ieshia Evans, who was detained in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, last summer.

The video makes light of protests and users took to Twitter, furious over the fact Pepsi tried to sneakingly use a sensitive social justice issue to sell soda.

Emily is a third year student at the University of Guelph studying Environmental Governance and Geographical Information Systems. She is the President and Campus Correspondent of Guelph's Her Campus chapter, which she founded in 2016. She is also an active member of the Environmental Governance Society and a journalist for the Guelph Gryphons. She spends so much time in the ocean she's half mermaid! She loves to scuba dive and surf, and hopes to one day use her degree to create ocean and marine life protection policies. If she's not in the water, she's in the gym. She has a passion for fitness and also plays competitive hockey. Her biggest passion is travel; she's been to over a dozen different countries and even founded her own travel blog where she documents her adventures around the globe. Emily always has a thirst for adventure and never says no to new experiences. Whether its hiking the edge of a mountain or swimming with sharks, she's always ready to tackle adventure head on! Follow Emily around the world: www.airplanesandavocados.com Follow her journey on Instagram: @airplanesandavocados