This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Masks are necessary (and mandatory) in most spaces right now, as they have been for almost a year. This isn’t too new to us, but as yet another masked summer approaches, I think it’s time that we start looking at masks as fun (and entirely necessary) accessories!

A few days ago, the Grammys were held with fewer attendees than usual – and some fashionable face masks. It was pretty cool to see how they chose to style their masks to match their outfits. Why can’t we do the same?

The first thing that you might want to consider is a colour scheme. 

A lot of people have colour schemes or aesthetics that they like to follow. If you wear a lot of black and red, then those might be good colours to get for your mask. Or, if you like pastels or prints, you could do that too. Black seems to be the most common, as it is the most versatile.

Next, you might want to consider the overall look you want. 

Once again, a lot of people have a look (or a whole bunch of looks!) that they really like to follow. There are a LOT of different places where you can get masks and each usually has its own style. I have seen places that sell really nice silk or lace ones. At first, I was skeptical about how effective they were, but most have a double or triple layer of cotton before the silk or lace, and as long as they have two to three layers of a sturdy fabric they should work as well as masks with just two to three layers of fabric (i.e. most reusable masks). There are also masks that are pleated and boxy, or more fitting and sleek depending on comfort and preference (again, just make sure the mask is safe)!

You can try to DIY a mask too. 

There are a lot of articles and videos online that show you exactly how to make safe masks at various sewing levels, and some are even sewing-free. As long as you make sure your mask is safe, you can make one that suits exactly what you want. There are also a lot of fabric shops with a large variety of fabrics that would love your business right now.

Make sure you are being safe. 

This is super important! Make sure that your masks follow safety guidelines. This means that they cover your mouth and nose, are not see-through, do not have any holes, and can comfortably be worn for a few hours. It is also best to have at least two so you can wear one while the other is being washed or dried. It is recommended that we wash our masks after each wear, so keep that in mind! There is also the option of double masking with a medical style one underneath for even more protection. If you can’t find a face mask that you really love, that’s okay! Just make sure that you are wearing one, whether they are disposable or reusable, and you can keep looking around for one (or a few) that are right for you.

Aaliya is the President, and Director of Marketing, for Her Campus at Guelph! She has been writing with Her Campus for over three years and is in her fourth year as an undergraduate arts student at the University of Guelph. When she is not writing for HC, she enjoys reading, trying new restaurants and meeting new people!