Wellness

How to Stay Motivated and Productive During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Low motivation is something we all deal with on a regular basis. In fact, it’s kind of impossible to stay 100% motivated and “on” every single day. As humans, we need breaks to recharge and refuel so we can tackle the next day stronger! Here are some other ways to stay motivated and on track with your studying or self-care during one of the busiest times of the school year.  

1. Set patterns  

Patterns and habits are very important because they allow us to create a flawless routine. Even the smallest of habits can make you feel better about the day and ready to knock off things on your to-do list! Some highly effective habits to follow as soon as you wake up include making your bed as soon as you wake up, following a skincare routine in the morning, or a five-minute meditation session right after waking up. Keeping the habits short and simple right after waking up helps you to gradually set a steady pace for your day.  

2. Do not sleep in  

We all love to sleep, and when we don’t have the need to wake up for 8 AM lectures, we tend to slip and sleep in. Sleeping in is great, but it should be a treat that is enjoyed once in a while (like on a Sunday!). Waking up early reduces stress and eliminates the need to rush in the morning to get tasks in for the day. This sets the day off on the right note and creates a positive mindset for the day!  

3. Weekly Schedules  

Creating a schedule at the end of each week for the following week allows you to know what needs to be completed each day. During finals, the only thing that needs to be done is studying! Looking through your syllabus and breaking down topics to study for each course can help you spread the study material out through the week. There’s nothing more satisfying than checking things off a list and this can further increase motivation and get more done throughout the day. Once everything is checked off the list it leaves you feeling satisfied at the end of the day because your time was well spent! 

4. Dress up  

Sitting in pajamas all day is great for a day off, but when you need to study, it can often leave you feeling demotivated and this leads to procrastination! For this reason, getting changed into clothes you would wear if you were going out for a lecture is a great way to feel more energized. This way, you mentally feel like you are ready to work and complete a series of tasks for the day.  

5. Talk to a friend  

Sometimes we need people to help us get through stressful and often busy times. Calling a friend who is also prepping for finals is a good way to motivate each other. If you know people in your classes, setting group study sessions via video calls is a great way to make studying fun and more interactive. It’s also great for your mental health during times of social distancing because you realize that you’re not alone and have a support system.  

During times of social distancing, it can be especially hard to stay motivated because you are away from other students and may not have access to a library or quiet study area. I hope you find some of these tricks and tips useful to avoid the feeling of demotivation during exam season! 

Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!