absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

How to Prevent Boredom During the Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

1. Read a book

If you’re a busy student with a heavy workload, chances are you haven’t had much free time lately. Now’s your chance to break out that dusty novel that’s been sitting on your shelf for ages and get lost in a fictional world. 

2. Go to the Gym

With academic life and extracurriculars, finding the time to work out can be challenging. But with the 3-week Winter Break coming up, there are no excuses! Not only is exercising a great, productive way to spend time, but it’s a natural mood booster. Time to hike up those running shoes!

3. Start a new hobby

With lots of free time, a great way to prevent boredom is to immerse yourself in an old hobby, or discover new activities you may be interested in. By the end of the day, we can get so lost in a jam-packed schedule filled with work and school that we forget to enjoy what makes us happy. If you’ve always wanted to learn how to play the guitar, or speak Mandarin, or knit a sweater, or paint, now’s your chance! It’s never too late to learn.

4. Go outside

Don’t forget we live in Canada – take advantage of the wonderful snow! Grab some friends and some toboggans and go to a nearby hill for some fun sledding adventures or lace up a pair of skates and head to City Hall. Even if you’re by yourself, make the time to shut off your screens and breathe in some fresh air. Take a stroll around your neighbourhood or walk your dog – either way, being outdoors is beneficial for your physical and mental health.

5. Spend time with friends & family

For many students who live on campus or even in a different city/country, it’s not uncommon to feel homesick. Now that you’re back in your hometown, allow the nostalgia to kick in and spend quality time with your family and friends. Watch a good movie together, preferably a Holiday one to get into the Christmas spirit, or maybe bring out that old board game sitting in the attic. It’s also the perfect time make plans with old high school buddies and reminisce about the old memories. 

Jenny Luu

Guelph '23

Jenny is in her first year at University of Guelph majoring in English and minoring in French. In her free time, she can be found working out, reading, binge watching "Parks & Recreation" or making Tik Toks. She is obsessed with Starbucks and makes it a daily challenge to NOT buy something from there each day.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!