This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Do you love spooky season? Do you love getting dressed up and eating your favourite candy? Well, don’t worry – although Halloween is going to be different this year, we can still celebrate at home!

1. Decorate!

One easy way to get into the spooky spirit is decorating! Go to your local dollar store or pull out your seasonal decor and dress up your space. Whether you set out baby pumpkins and string lights or scary bats and spiders, it will put you in the Halloween mood.

2. Have a Spooky Movie Marathon.

Put on your favourite Halloween or Horror movies and make a night of it. Grab some cozy blankets, your favourite Halloween treats, and prepare to get scared! This is something you can do with your housemates or on your own. If you need some suggestions, I have added some below!

● Hocus Pocus

● Halloween​ (1978)

● Hush

●Scream

● Twitches

3. Make a Halloween charcuterie board.

This is a fun activity that makes the candy eating experience even better! All you need is a plate and your favourite Halloween treats. For variety, make sure you add something salty and lots of sweets. Spread them out on your platter and enjoy! 

4. Dress up!

Even though you are staying in, you can still dress up at home! Whether you live by yourself or with housemates, dressing up is a fun way to get in the Halloween spirit. If you need some easy costume ideas I have listed some fun ones below!

“Starbucks”: ​Cut out a bunch of stars and attach fake bills to them (you can grab the money from any of the game boards you have in your cupboard like Monopoly or make your own) and attach them to your go-to dress! It’s quirky and funny, and you can find all the supplies in your home!

“Spice Girls”: ​Grab an old spice packet from your cupboard (cinnamon or pumpkin would work great) and make it into a lanyard with some clips and string. Put on all black and an apron and there you go you are a “spice girl”. This one is a fun one to do with your housemates!

“Sleeping Beauty”: ​Put on your pj’s and slippers. Make a pageant sash (“Miss Universe”, for example) and wear a plastic tiara. There you go! A sleeping beauty perfect for a night in. This is a perfect costume for people who want to stay comfy but still want to dress up!

Emily Gibson

Guelph '21

Emily is The University of Guelph's Chapter Marketing and Publicity Director! She is a fourth-year English major who loves spending her time watching movies, writing, and discovering new places. One day she wants to visit Greece to fulfill her Mamma Mia dreams.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!