How to Get The Perfect Summer Tan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

The following tips will teach you how to safely and effectively get the perfect summer tan.

ALWAYS USE SUNSCREEN! : I know this sounds counter productive, but it will prevent you from burning and your skin peeling. Make sure to take into consideration the type of sunscreen you are using and how often you reapply it.

IT TAKES TIME!: It’s best to get a little sun each day instead of a lot of sun in one day. The reason behind this is because your body can only produce so much melanin in one day. AKA the tanning pigment. So after being in the sun for a dew hours your good to go.

EXFOLIATE! : Before you start tanning you should exfoliate In the shower. By this, I mean scrubbing all your skin so all possible dead skin on the top layer of your body will be removed. This will allow you to be able to tan evenly and it will last longer.

NO MAKEUP!: When you are tanning do not wear makeup. Tanning with makeup on can actually give you a blotchy tan on your face. Makeup will damage your skin more when sunbathing and also make it harder for the sun to target all areas of your face equally.

TAN NEAR WATER OR IN THE WATER!: Water reflects the sun’s rays onto your skin making for a deep stronger and faster tan.

ALOE VERA!: I can personally say that aloe vera has become my best friend when I am tanning. If I find that after I tanned I’m starting to look red I will moisturize with Aloe Vera because it cools down your skin and also reduces the chance of you to burn. It also works great too if you have already burned and you want it to turn into a tan. Lotion becomes your best friend!

WEAR BRIGHT COLOURS!: Once you start seeing yourself looking more tanned, if you stick to wearing bright colors and white your tan will pop even more. Creating an illusion that you are more tan than you actually are. 

TANNING OIL!: If you are to use tanning oil, don’t overuse as it can be extremely dangerous. Use only a little and make sure to keep an eye on your skin and if it’s getting red.

Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!