This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

So it’s summer and you’re trying to build up your experience. It’s that golden stamp on your resume, the seal of approval that says you’re ready for adult life. But how do you dress for it? How do you act like an adult when all semester, you were a mess who wore their activewear to class at every opportunity and lived off tuna and rice? Here’s what I’ve learned.

• Overdressing is better than underdressing

Some workplaces are more relaxed than others, but in each industry, there’s a spectrum. There’ s a few things you can do to get an idea of what everyone dresses like such as eyeing off what everyone wears before and after your interview. You can even stalk the Instagram of someone who works there, but it’s better to be overdressed than underdressed. If you rock up in a suit and feel stupid for a day, it’s better than if you’d shown up to an uber-formal workplace wearing your activewear.

• Networking and industry events will help you

Obviously, you can’t do this during the summer, but once class starts up again, I highly recommend joining your faculty club and attending some networking events. I can’t talk these events up enough. They’re incredibly helpful for meeting industry professionals, learning more about your chosen industry and figuring out where you fit into it. But that aside, they’re also extremely handy when it comes to figuring out corporate wear. While they can sound daunting before you go to one, they’re fairly casual and provide an easy way to test run your limited corporate wardrobe. So join up to your faculty’s club on campus and get going.

• Confidence is key

It’s true that exuding confidence is the easiest way to look good. So when it comes to dressing professionally, if you’re unsure about your outfit, the best thing to do is make sure you feel good about how you look otherwise. Sometimes little things like having your nails done, spending a few extra minutes straightening your hair, or wearing your favourite foundation can make all the difference.

(Source)

• Get some inspo

If all else fails, reach for the internet. Platforms like Pinterest and Instagram are sure to have some inspiration for you. One of my favourite inspiration accounts is @twocorporategirls on Instagram, and there’ s plenty of other accounts you can follow. You can also find lookbooks on YouTube for corporate wear!

Dominique is an Australian journalism student currently on exchange at the University of Guelph. She has previously worked as the editor of her Australian university's magazine and as an intern at Style Magazines. She's passionate about clean skincare, books, food and travel. You can find her on Instagram @dominiquetassell or check out her blog at www.dominiquetassell.com
Emilie Kelly is the University of Guelph's Chapter Co-Correspondent! She is a Phase 1 OVC student who loves to spend her time with horses, cats, dogs, cows; you name it! (That does indeed make her an Aggie!) You can contact her in French, English, or even Japanese.