This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

If you have never been to Grassroots, then you are definitely missing out. Located near Balzac’s, Guelph’s newest café not only serves delicious food but also houses a studio offering several different fitness classes. In addition to fitness classes they also offer “Friday Foodie” classes which involve cooking tasty food while sipping on kombucha and sampling vegan cheeses. I recently attended one these classes with my roommates where we made cauliflower wings that made me rethink my original distaste towards the vegetable. If you are not vegan or vegetarian and feel hesitant towards such restaurants don’t worry. I myself am not vegan or vegetarian, and I found the food delicious and filling when trying the vegan options (though they do also serve food with meat). 

Location: 17 Gordon St, Guelph  

Who they are: Grassroots aims to be a community market, café and wellness studio that provides wholesome food sourced locally. While crafting some of the most delicious and nutritious meals, paired with an array of trainer designed fitness classes, their commitment is to create an inclusive destination where you can feel good about you and where good for you food is available.

The Studio: 

While from the front it may appear as only a café, if you venture to the back you’ll find a studio with class offerings from boot camp to Kangoo Jump classes. Additionally, your first fitness class at Grassroots is free, so make sure to take advantage while you can! 

What to Expect from the food:

There are many delicious food offerings at the café with gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan options available as well meat for those who are not vegan or vegetarian, all using locally sourced produce. Though sometimes it seems as though healthy = not so great tasting this is not the case here. The food is as delicious as it is healthy, and you can walk out of the café knowing that you nourished your body in the best way possible. 

Crowd Favourites: 

• Bueno Bowl 
  • Coffee bullet plus 
  • Immunity or Green Zenergy smoothie 
  • Grilled cheese with vegan option available (As an avid grilled cheese enthusiast I ordered the vegan grilled cheese here and would highly recommend it) 

All images courtesy of Grassroots Market and Studio

Rachel is a fourth year bio-medical science student at the University of Guelph.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!