Guelph’s Kitty Café – What You Need to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

I finally went to My Kitty Cafe in Guelph and truly enjoyed my experience! I wasn’t sure what to expect since I had never been to a pet café before, and I even never went to one while I lived in Japan during my exchange- and this is where they’re the most popular!

When you first walk in, you’re greeted by the storefront where you can order a multitude of foods and drinks as well as purchase a variety of cat-themed objects. You can even buy supplies for your cat at home! The menu was extensive and everything we ordered ended up being delicious and lovingly prepared according to order. I tried the chai tea latte with the macaroni and cheese which were both scrumptious.

If you’re someone like me that likes to plan what you ’re going to eat before going out, then you’re in luck since their entire menu is available online here.

The entrance fee to the cat-portion of the cafe costs $5, but if you choose to buy an object from their shop, the entrance fee drops to $3. There are also strict instructions to meet the cats, such as removing your outside shoes, not approaching the cats unless they come to you, and not scarring them. A detailed list can be found on your way at the back of the cafe before you get to meet the kitties.

You’ll be asked to take off your shoes before getting into the back room of the café where the cats are freely roaming. After that point, the rest is like a dream! There’s a handful of cats up for adoption welcoming you and greeting you in hopes of getting a bite to eat (although you’re not allowed to feed the cats). That won’t stop the little kitties from trying to persuade you to feed them though! )

Photo by  Buenosia Carol from  Pexels

You can choose where to sit during your time at this lovely café as there’s seating for all types of people, ranging from couches, to benches, to a regular dining table. The entirety of the back of the café has been cat- ified with cat trees, perches, stairs, and toys. This adds to the overall experience to make you feel as if you’re part of a cat jungle!

When we went, there was a mother cat and her kittens which were named after provinces up for adoption. There’s also a desk with a worker inside of the cat portion of the café in order to ensure that the customers are following the rules as well as to answer your questions concerning the cats and their adoption status.

They update their website fairly regularly, so if you’re interested in finding out which cats you ’re going to meet during your experience, you can do so here.

I truly hope that you get to visit this wonderful place in the city of Guelph when you get a chance! Not only do you support one of the local businesses, but you’re also supporting cats in need of a fur-ever home!

Photo by Helena Lopes from  Pexels

Emilie Kelly is the University of Guelph's Chapter Co-Correspondent! She is a Phase 1 OVC student who loves to spend her time with horses, cats, dogs, cows; you name it! (That does indeed make her an Aggie!) You can contact her in French, English, or even Japanese.