you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Five Types of Mentors to have in Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

As a university student (now in my final year!), I’m always looking to grow and succeed in life. I have to admit, each transition in my life has been scary and I’m sure many of you can relate to that!  

It was scary starting high school, then it was scary starting university, and now it’s scary realizing that this journey is over and a new one is about to unfold. The scariest part is the unknown. The feeling of not knowing how things are going to turn out, what obstacles have to be overcome or simply just not knowing how to meet a certain life goal. For some, the unknown or “going with the flow” sounds thrilling, but as a person who LOVES plans and timelines and schedules, the whole “going where life takes me” just sounds like a mess!  

Unfortunately, that’s the reality of life. You can always try to plan and have things in control, but external forces are always at play. One thing I’ve realized has really helped me cope with life’s transitions are the people I surround myself with; in other words, my support system or mentors. This is what I can control, and it helps the “unknowns” become a bit more familiar and less daunting. In this article, I want to introduce some types of mentors you may encounter throughout life and need to keep around to help you succeed personally and professionally! 

1. The therapist or…The unpaid therapist  

I don’t just mean a literal, professional therapist. This mentor can simply be a family member or best friend. They’re someone that you can share all your struggles with, without having the feeling of being judged. When life just sucks, they’re the ones that can give you some positive encouragement, remind you how great you are, and provide you with some good laughs. Personally, these therapists for me always end up showing me that a certain problem I may be facing now is not as big as I think it is and is just a small hurdle I will eventually overcome.  

2. The Person who’s Been there  

This mentor is someone who’s experienced what you are experiencing or about to experience. They usually help clear up any uncertainty you may have by using their personal experiences. I really feel secure having these mentors around because I know their help will be useful since they speak from experience and are not just trying to make me feel better. In short, they keep it real, talk about the positives and also the negatives. These mentors can be upper-year students in the same program as you, graduate school students in a field you are interested in, or someone who has worked/working in a company you’re interested in joining!  

3. The Wise and Knowledgeable 

This mentor is usually used to motivate you when you’re trying to reach a certain goal. It’s generally someone you admire and hope to be like in the future. They may not really do anything for you, but you use them as a reference point while on the journey to accomplishing a certain thing in life. Examples can include a boss, professor, or any person that holds a seniority status! 

4. The Cheerleader  

Not everyone has one, but I think it really helps to have someone that can boast about you. In general, talk more about the positives and less about the negatives. Sure, sometimes it can be a little excessive, but can come in handy when you need a reference for a certain job or grad program!  

5. The Reverse Mentor  

When I learned about this type of mentor, it seemed a bit odd and surprising to me. The reverse mentor is a person that is less experienced than you are in certain areas and may look to you for guidance. However, the reverse mentor is also someone more knowledgeable in areas that you do not explore frequently. The mentee learns larger skills from you, while you learn to sharpen or hone certain skills that were pruned away. The mentee also provides a solid review of how you work as a leader and where room for improvement is needed.  

Overall, a combination of these mentors can really build a strong support system to help you in your personal or professional life. You may find that some people act as more than one of these and it’s important to keep in mind that there needs to be a balance since each type of mentor serves a very important and unique role in your life!  

Ara Kirtikar

Guelph '21

Living life to the fullest <3
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!