Fall 2018: Top 5 Ontario Road Trip Destinations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Each season comes with its own unique beauty and trend, so it’s hard for me to pick a favourite. However, if I had to choose, fall would definitely be number one. From cute fall fashion to warm comfort food, these are just a few of the many things that make this season so perfect. Aside from snuggling on my couch while reading and drinking tea, one of my favourite things to do in the fall is to go outside and take in the beautiful atmosphere that comes with this season. The air is crisp, the weather is great, the leaves are changing colour, and everything around is so picturesque. So, if you’re looking for some adventure, right now is the perfect time to go on a road trip before the harsh winter hits. From visiting pumpkin patches to looking for fall foliage, here are 5 fall road-trip destinations located within Ontario.

1. Rattlesnake Point

Rattlesnake Point is a beautiful conservation area located in Milton, Ontario. It’s only about an hour drive from downtown Toronto and is the perfect destination for those living near the city. If you’re interested in hiking and enjoying the fall colours, there are many trails to choose from in Rattlesnake Point, each with a different level of difficulty. There are also camp sites and picnic tables: perfect for a day trip or an overnight stay with close family and friends.​

2. Algonquin Provincial Park

If you’re looking for bright colors and an abundance of beautiful fall foliage, Algonquin Provincial Park is the place to go. It is located between Georgian Bay and the Ottawa river and is about a 3-hour drive away from the city of Toronto. With its vast forests, rivers, and many lakes, there is just so much to explore! It is a popular weekend destination for camping and hiking, especially during the fall season. So be sure to plan ahead if you’re thinking of driving up there!

3. Silent Lake Provincial Park

Silent Lake Provincial Park is located near Bancroft, Ontario. It’s only a 2.5-hour drive away from the city and has over 19 km of hiking trails and mountain biking trails. There are many recreational activities that you can do at Silent Lake, such as biking, canoeing, and hiking. The provincial park also has two sandy beaches and a number of campsites for those looking for a weekend to relax and peacefully enjoy the fall season.

4. The Scarborough Bluffs

The Scarborough Bluffs is an escarpment located in Scarborough, Ontario. For those living in the city and don’t want to drive too far, this place is perfect for you! It’s only half an hour away from downtown Toronto, and you can even get there by bus! There are nine parks along the bluffs and many trails to hike. If you climb all the way to the top of the escarpment, you’ll be able to see all the beautiful leaves down below and an awesome view of Lake Ontario.

5. Downey’s Farm Market

Interested in taking a picture on a pumpkin patch or getting lost in a corn maze? Then maybe driving up to Caledon, Ontario and visiting Downey’s annual PumpkinFest is the thing to do this coming weekend! With attractions such as wagon rides, duck races, jumping pillows, a pedal cart track, a goat mountain slide, and much more, a day spent at PumpkinFest is a day of fun for all ages!

Angel Su

Guelph '20

I'm a third year at the University of Guelph studying biomedical sciences. I love playing the piano/violin, and drinking tea. I also enjoy reading, writing, and colouring during my spare time.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!