This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

It’s hard to believe that the fall semester has gone by so fast, but we are officially in the homestretch. In less than a month most of us will be back home, celebrating the winter holidays with friends and family. And though we have that to look forward to, it can be hard to stay focused during these last weeks of school. With finals coming up and many of us buried in essays, here are a few things you can do to make the final days more productive and enjoyable.

1. Start integrating short study sessions into your routine

Though it may still seem far away, finals are around the corner. Studying your course material for short amounts of time every day can greatly decrease the stress you feel when finals arrive. This can be as little as 15 minutes a day, but it will make a big difference. Start early!

2. Plan your Christmas presents

If you are anything like me, planning gifts for friends and family is part of the Christmas fun. I like to find gifts that are perfect for a person, and a good way to do this is by planning early on. That way, you can keep an eye out in stores and it will also give you a good idea of how much you will be spending. Planning your gifts can help you save money!

3. Decorate your dorm for Christmas

Nothing keeps me more motivated than a cozy room, and there is no holiday cozier than Christmas! Get a small Christmas tree (you can find fake ones at the dollar store), put up some Christmas lights, and transform your dorm into a winter wonderland. Don’t worry about having to spend tons of money; there are many decorations on a budget. You can even make some of them yourself! Keep an eye out for pillowcases that you can switch out during different seasons and get an air freshener with exchangeable smells. That way, you can make your room smell like Christmas trees!

4. Take advantage of all the special drinks on campus

If you like coffee or tea, the winter season is the best. Starbucks, Tim Hortons and even the Mountain Cafeteria often have special drinks such as peppermint mocha. These will make your day and give you a bit of festivity during these last stressful weeks. 

5. Take some time for yourself

It is very easy to come absorbed by the amount of work due and forget to take care of yourself. We all know that we achieve much more when we are healthy and happy, and so it is important to take a moment away from school every now and then. Build a snowman with friends, organize secret Santa, have a Christmas movie night or bake cookies. You will feel ten times more motivated when you go back to work.

Maaike is an international student from Curacao in her sophomore year at the University of Guelph. Originally from the Netherlands, she loves cats, grilled cheese and reading (and watching the movie adaptations!).If she could live anywhere, it would be on Broadway.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!