This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Living in a country where the weather is constantly changing takes a toll on my hair. From the humid summers to the cold and harsh winters, my hair constantly changes in texture and volume.

I decided to do some research on DIY hair masks. For those who don’t know what a hair mask is, it’s a thick mousse that’s typically massaged into the hair and left in for a few hours, and eventually washed out. As I was researching the different kinds of masks, I came across one that seemed quite unusual. An ‘egg yolk’ hair mask. So basically, it’s like cracking raw eggs onto the head and massaging it in…

Egg yolk hair masks have become quite popular and seem to do wonders for the hair when it comes to moisturizing and defrizzing. The yolk is packed with nutrients such as Vitamin A, D, biotin and folate. The same nutrients are found in healthy hair. Using this mask, increases the concentration of these beneficial substances and benefits the hair in many ways, from making it more resistant to damage and increasing hair growth! This treatment does not have many side effects and is generally safe for users unless one has an egg allergy.

I decided to test out this mask myself and see if all these claims were true. Let’s just say I was pleasantly surprised with the results!

Here’s how to create your own Egg mask…

1. For shoulder length hair use two egg yolks.
  2. Beat the egg yolks in a bowl using a whisk or a fork.
  3. Optional: add in a tablespoon of plain yogurt or honey.
  4. The mixture should be well mixed to form a runny consistency.
  5. Brush through your hair to remove any knots and tangles.
  6. Now using a spoon or your hands, scoop the mixture and massaging it through the hair from the roots to the tips.
  7. You can tie your hair in a low bun to avoid getting egg all over your face!
  8. Leave this mask in for at least 2 hours and then wash the hair with cold to lukewarm water and a shampoo of your choice. This mask can be applied once a week or every two weeks depending on how dry your hair is!

My results…

After my first application I noticed that my hair was tamer and smoother. Any dandruff that I had from a dry scalp was also significantly reduced.

After 4 weeks, with an application once per week I noticed my hair had a new and healthy shine to it. I also noticed that my hair had fewer knots and tangles, making it easier to brush and style after.

Overall, I was happy with the results from this unique mask and believe that it is definitely worth a try if you’re trying to grow your hair and have a healthy scalp!

Image Sources:

https://www.pexels.com/photo/food-eggs-8439/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/esthermax/35597300240

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wastes/8401648376

Ara Kirtikar

Guelph '21

Living life to the fullest <3
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!