This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

I have watched what some may say is a large amount of comedy television shows. For me, they are my favourite television genre for a couple of reasons: they are generally only 20 minutes – which is the perfect amount of time for a quick break and for my short attention span – and who doesn’t like to laugh? Here I will compile a shortlist of some of my favourite comedy shows.  

1. The Mindy Project  

The Mindy Project has to be one of my all-time favourite shows, partly because I love Mindy Kaling. The show follows Mindy Lahiri, a Manhattan OBGYN, and her trials and tribulations with her coworkers and dating life. If you love romantic comedies, I would highly recommend this show.  

2. Community  

Community is about a Greendale Community College study group. The show follows a traditional format with a couple of fun bottle episodes and hilarious group dynamics. I would recommend the first couple seasons of this show, as in my opinion the later seasons, while still enjoyable, are not as great as the first couple.   

3. Superstore  

This show is a new find for me, although it started airing in 2015. Superstore follows a group of employs at (you guessed it) a superstore that is reminiscent of a Walmart. The show is on par with workplace comedies like The Office, Brooklyn-99 and Parks and Rec, so if you liked any of the prior, you may also like Superstore. This show was so amazing that I binge-watched five seasons in a couple of days.  

4. Schitt’s Creek  

Schitt’s Creek was somewhat of a sleeper hit, though many Canadians were already familiar with the hilarious show before it received mainstream awards and acclaim. The show follows a family who moves into a small town with nothing after they lose all their riches. I’ll admit that when I first started watching the show a couple of years ago, it took me a little while to get into it, but once I was I could not stop watching. There is amazing character development and laugh out loud moments throughout the entirety of the series.  

5. Teenage Bounty Hunters 

I was extremely upset to hear that Netflix had cancelled this show after only one season. While the episodes are 45 minutes and the show could also be classified as a drama (or more accurately a dramedy) this show had some genuinely funny moments. I can’t say a lot about the show without spoiling it, but I will say that I wasn’t sure what to expect when I started it – but I was hooked by the plot twists and hilarious character moments.  

Rachel is a fourth year bio-medical science student at the University of Guelph.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!