This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The COVID-19 pandemic has shown us the power of coming together and being present in our communities. This has helped us to continue our daily lives, support our loved ones, and maintain our mental health. This also applies to Breast Cancer. In Canada, an average of 75 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer every day. It is also estimated that 1 in 8 women in Canada will develop breast cancer in their lifetime. October is the dedicated time when we can educate ourselves, raise awareness, and tell our stories about Breast Cancer. Here is a list of ways you can get involved and show your support:

1. Educate yourself.

Take the time to learn about the signs and symptoms of breast cancer. Knowing one’s risks of developing breast cancer can help detect early signs. You can go here​ for information on how to give yourself a breast self-exam. Breast self- exams can be a crucial way to detect breast cancer early.

2. Shop and give back.

The Canadian Cancer Society has an online program called Shop and Support, where you can buy products that give back to breast cancer. Blueline is a company that supports the Canadian Cancer Society and donates 9% of all net sales to the breast cancer cause. Visit this website​ to shop!

3. Make a donation.

Every donation makes an impact! You can go here to make a donation to the Canadian Cancer Society.

4. Participate in Dress Up Your Life.

Participate in Dress Up Your Life starting October 5th. Dress Up Your Life is an online program where every week you will be provided with a prompt to decorate something in pink. This will help raise awareness about breast cancer and give you something interactive to be involved in! You can find out more information and register here!

5. Wear a pink ribbon.

The pink ribbon is a symbol of hope and strength. It is an internationally known symbol in the fight against breast cancer. Check out this video on how to make your own ribbon at home!

Let’s take this month to educate ourselves on breast cancer and raise awareness for the cause. We have all been affected by this disease at least once in our lives, whether we know someone that has had it or had it ourselves, it has made an impact on all of us. Show your support by taking the time to do something on this list.

Emily Gibson

Guelph '21

Emily is The University of Guelph's Chapter Marketing and Publicity Director! She is a fourth-year English major who loves spending her time watching movies, writing, and discovering new places. One day she wants to visit Greece to fulfill her Mamma Mia dreams.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!