This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and although this holiday is advertised as a day full of love and good feelings, that’s not the case for everyone. It can be daunting if you don’t feel like you fit into the societal standards for this time of year, whether you’re single, you’re not in a traditional romantic relationship, or you’re simply not into romantic love at all. It’s normal to feel left out during such a big event. The month of February is smothered in heart-shaped chocolates, giant teddy bears, and commercials featuring engagement rings.

Personally, I think Valentine’s Day is fun. I love all the pink and red, and the heart decorations. However, the commercialization of love can get to be a bit too much as the meaning of the holiday starts to blur. The friendly window displays can serve as guilt-trips reminding you of the kind of relationship you supposedly need. Take a step back from all the glitter and remember the person who deserves to be your truest love: you.

Why not add yourself to your list of Valentine card recipients? Get dressed up for yourself and go out, or put on your coziest sweats and watch a movie. If you have people to see, or you don’t, make sure to do things for yourself that you enjoy. On a day where we celebrate love, it’s important to celebrate self-love too. So why not grab a box of chocolates and treat yourself to some roses this Valentine’s Day?

Beckett is a fourth year student at the University of Guelph in the position of editor for Her Campus at Guelph. They are majoring in English, with a minor in Creative Writing. They are a poet and a writer with a love of books, nature and shiny things.